Chapter Eighteen: Mother's Love

It seems like the world was caving in on itself. "What could be wrong? Is he in danger?" Justin asks me, worry etched on his face.

"I don't know. But my dream is collapsing, I can't stop it. I should be able to make it go away and I can't." I explain. "Gabriel! If you're there please hear me!"

"I don't think he has control either, sis."

"I have to wake up. Something is happening, I can feel it." I tell him, before breaking into a run for the house. "How can I wake up?"

"Riley, I'm sorry," Justin says, and when I turn to face him, he has a needle in his hand. "It's the only way you'll wake up."

"What is that?" I question, staring down the needle. The clear liquid sends a shiver down my spine. "What will that do?"

"All you need to know is that it will wake you up. I manifested it the first time we met here for emergencies." Justin takes a step closer, so I close my eyes. "I'll make it quick."

A pinch is all I feel before a pain that feels like fire consumes me. "I love you," Justin whispers one last time.

~

I spring out of bed as soon as I am awake. Next to me, Pietro squirms in his sleep. "Pietro, wake up. Pietro." I shake him, gently at first, but then with more urgency. I slap him, hard enough to wake him.

"что происходит? (What is going on?)" He demands, grabbing my shoulders. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I don't think every else is though." I tell him, trying to listen for any sounds. All is quiet, which for the Avengers, is unusual. "Something is wrong with Gabriel."

"That must explain my nightmare," Pietro states, shaking his head. "Let's go see what's wrong."

Our sense of urgency increases when we here a scream. We rush out of the room, but all goes quiet again. Pietro pauses for a minute until the next one rings through our ears. "That came from Bucky's room."

"You go get Barnes, I will wake Wanda. With her awake, we can help everyone else." Pietro says, nodding to himself.

"You think this has spread across the whole tower?"

"I believe Gabriel has that much power. The strength of it, I do not know."

With that, we split up. When I reach Bucky's door, I send a spray of water onto the doorknob before turning it to ice and breaking it off. "Bucky! Bucky wake up!" I shout, rushing to his side. My dream turned bad, but for the Winter Soldier, I can't imagine the kind of nightmare he must be having to cause him to convulse with pain.

His screams sound pained. I send a small wave of water over his face and chest, hoping to calm him. Nothing helps. So, I sit next to him. It's a risk, considering the temperament he had the first time we met. He was scared then, and he's scared now.

"Bucky, it's Riley. Please, when you wake up, remember that." I take what water I have left, and throw it on his face.

Suddenly, his metal hand wraps around my wrist, the other one grabbing my leg. "What the hell-"

"Bucky, it's me. It's Riley."

"I know that, but why in the damn world did you throw water on my face?" He growls, standing up from his bed.

"Something is wrong. Gabriel is in trouble, the entire tower is plagued with nightmares. Right now, Pietro and I are the only ones awake. He went to go get Wanda while I came to get you." I explain quickly, before standing as well. "We have to find Gabriel."