Chapter Five: Understand

Author's Note: Riletro fans, be prepared! Because this is THE chapter. Hope you enjoy!

************
To say Tony was surprised when we arrived home with Bucky Barnes was an understatement. Honestly, I think he might just go get his suit on and blast the assassin to kingdom come. I've never seen him this angry. The Tony I know is a sarcastic, nonchalant guy.

"Not when it comes to his parents." Wanda whispers next to me, having read my thoughts. "This man killed them after all."

"You got into his mind. You saw he was brainwashed. Can Tony really blame him? Bucky Barnes and the Winter Soldier are two different people. Two sides of a coin." I reply, crossing my arms. We're both watching Tony and Steve duke it out in the conference room.

"We understand that, but Tony does not. To him, everything is black and white. We see the gray in between." Wanda sighs, and turns away. "We are a team. They should not be arguing."

I turn away as well, cringing when Tony tries to shove Steve. Tries being the key word. "He just needs time." I murmur, walking away from Wanda. I decide to go to the kitchen, where I know Bucky probably is. He was fatigued, and almost starving when we found him.

There he is, sitting and eating a grilled cheese. Natasha stood in front of the bar where he sat, leaning on the countertop. "Hey Riley." She nods, giving me small smile.

"Your neck is looking better." Bucky says quietly, his eyes darting to my skin. When we had returned home, my neck was already bruising in the shape of a hand. Pietro, who was livid, tried to get me to heal it but I saw no use. It was just bruising.

"Do you want anything to eat? I made him a grilled cheese." Natasha points to the stove, where the ingredients for a sandwich are still laying out. I shrug, and she goes to work.

"I'm still very sorry, kid." Bucky states as I sit down on a stool next to him. "I thought your boyfriend was going to rip my throat out."

"B-Boyfriend?" I stammer, giving him wide eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"I see the way that speedy guy looks at you. The way you look at him. You two may not be together, but I see it." He smiles slightly, shaking his head. "Wish I still had something even remotely close to that."

"The war was hard for both you and Steve. You lost a lot. At least you have each other. Family." I put a hand on his shoulder, and he tenses.

"Yeah. Family."

"Роза, can I speak with you?" I jump when I hear Pietro's voice directly behind me. Nodding, he leads me back to my room. Wow, how strange is it that he took me back to my room?

"Is everything okay?" I ask in concern, watching as he paced the floor. Bucky's words pop back into my mind, but I shake them off.

"I do not trust Barnes." He tells me, crossing his arms. No surprise there. "Though, you do. If you trust him, then I will learn to trust him as well."

"You're mistaking trust for understanding, Pietro." I shake my head and step forward, closer to him. His eyes go big, and I frown. "I don't trust him, and I kind of don't want him around the team. Around you. If he hurts someone... No, I won't let that happen. The only two reasons I am not kicking his ass out right now, is because of Steve, and because I understand."

"Understand what, роза?" Pietro questions, placing a hand on my waist. My fists clench and I feel tears start to well up in my eyes.

"To think yourself a monster. To want to end your life everyday, because you think people dying is your fault." I whisper, and let the tears spill. Sobs take control of my body, and immediately Pietro's arms are cradling me to his chest.