Chapter 89- Of Kindness And Anger

CHAPTER 89

OF KINDNESS AND ANGER

Monami opened her eyes. It was bright, too bright. She closed her eyes. A click and the red light behind her eyelids dimmed. She tried again. The light was tolerable. Much more tolerable.

A familiar voice said anything. Param. She couldn't make out what he said. It wasn't to her, she was pretty sure. The room was disorienting, and Param kept his distance. She was thankful for that. A doctor came about, asking her questions. Can you hear me? Monami... can you hear me? She couldn't speak. The world was spinning. A little too much. The door opened.

Someone came closer.

Karan.

She breathed out, reaching out shakily towards him. His hand encompassed her head, gently touching her. You are okay. You are safe.

Her eyes closed again. She was okay now. She was safe. He was here.

---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---

The academy was in disarray. The trainers were no where to be seen, but amidst the sirens and alarms and the noise last night, everyone knew something was wrong. Agents ran around, the environment tense. The calm before the storm. It reminded Koel of the time when Laxman was missing. Except... darker. Or perhaps, it was the calm after. Like the solemnness that had blanketed the academy after Abhi's murder.

The cadets sat around the table. It was missing Monami. Even Sid wasn't sure where she was, just that she was needed, as Sanju has said to him. Who was hurt? She had hurried off before he could ask too much. Their classes were cancelled and instead, homework was given. A quick mail to them, an afterthought.

All throughout the day, Koel caught glimpses of the trainers- Karan barking orders on the phone, Faizi talking along to some agent or the other and Sanju with piles of papers and accessories running around. It was a spell broken from their constant, preoccupied gazes.

"Faizi", she said, catching his arm. He was alone for once throughout the day, but still hurried.

"Koel", he said, taking a step away. "Abhi nahi. Hume kaam hai."

"Kya ho raha hai?" She asked. "Monami theek hai?"

He nodded. "Woh theek hai. Sab theek hai", he assured. "Hume jaana hai." His lack of explanation almost surprised her. Where was Monami? He should at least, explain why they needed her. Did she need to treat someone? That has to be it, right? But why not the academy doctors? Why her? But she let him go, taking a step back and nodding. He smiled at her gently, but even then, the motion was hurried. "Apna dhyaan rakhna. Zyaada chinta mat karna. Sab theek hai. I promise."

"Tum bhi dhyaan rakhna", she muttered and he nodded. He hurried off after a quick kiss to her cheek, his phone out in his hand, dialing a number. She had too many questions that remained unanswered, but for now, they would have to remain so.

---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---

He was angry. Furious. He had only ever been this angry at her when Sid and her had stormed out after they had thought the trainers had burned their things. So long ago. It seemed like another lifetime. Monami stared at him quietly, her face almost covered with the blanket. She had forgotten this side of him- so angry, so destructive, the side that was Special Agent Major Karan Shergill. He was usually just Karan to her, the man who listened to her stories, the man who wiped her mouth with his handkerchief and a fond smile, the man who walked with her in the woods because she had a nightmare.

"I told you to never go without protection in the room", Karan said quietly.

"I am s-sorry", she said softly. His eyes didn't soften, only glaring down at her. "I th-thought-"