Chapter 92- Ikigai

CHAPTER 92

IKIGAI

Ikigai-
(n.) Your reason to get out of bed in the morning; your reason for being

The next few days passed in a hectic routine for almost all the agents involved. A raid, that was what was going to happen. A full out assault. No sneak attacks, no little underhanded tactics. They had found a base and they were going to take it down. Quickly and effectively.

Faizi was leading it, Karan strategizing their moves, working more as an advisor than a leader for a change. Sanju took care of the agents along, choosing and selecting the best ones needed to make it a sure victory. This would be important, a raid that could handicap EFR for months and maybe, years. Force them back into hiding.

Karan stood in a corner of the room, listening to Faizi talk to his men as he detailed over the plan. There cannot be any mistake. A mistake would cost lives and it would be on him. He was making the plan and it had to be flawless.

­---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---

Nawaz worked quietly, efficiently. The plans were put in place, the men coordinated and the bombs ready to be exploded. He wasn't allowed to go anywhere near the academy, but he waited in the night for the scouts to bring back information. There were so many sources of information, some that were looked on from outside, and some that came directly from the middle of them. He wasn't sure of all of them. He doubted there was another spy though. They didn't have the kind of precious intel Sayed had been able to give. He would have asked about Kitten.

Over the days, he found himself thinking more and more about her. He was... conflicted. Sure, she was in a military academy, a cadet, training to be the very breed he despises, but... she had helped him. She had to be the one who made that way for him to escape. She was charming, pretty. She can surely charm her seniors. Karan, Faizi. Either of them. Maybe both. And she did it for him. Maybe she had been the one who cleared that hallway. He couldn't blow her up, couldn't leave her in a burning building. Even if he had to kill her, it would be personally. Up close. He'll watch her life leave her.

But it was their goal, their mission. He had spent his life dreaming, hating, seeking the vengeance they wanted, deserved. He cannot throw it away for her. He wasn't kind. Kindness was weakness. He cannot afford to be weak.

And so, he worked diligently, effectively, efficiently. He was the best at what he did and he had to make sure he was going to prove it.

---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---

The academy was bustling, a certain, quiet solemnness lingering over it rather than the usual, quiet enthusiasm that drove it forward. Raids were always dangerous, unpredictable, having the capability to turn with just a moment's bad luck or just a moment of inattentiveness. Bases were understandably even more dangerous.

"Chhote", Param said. "Dhyaan rakhna apna." He rolled his eyes, nodding along as he glanced around the lobby where everyone had gathered- either the special agents who were leaving or the friends and family that came to wish them luck. "Kuchh stupid harkatein nahi karni and..." The familiar words faded when he registered her. Monami. She stood alone in a corner, her own gaze dancing around the room. "Chhote!"

He glanced up at his brother. "Kya?"

"Sun raha hai tu?" He hummed, glancing back at the girl. His brother followed his gaze, a moment of silence falling as he looked for the source of his distraction. "Karan..." His voice was softer. "Jaa, baat karle usse, if you want to."