Chapter 44- The Diwali Break Starts

CHAPTER 44

THE DIWALI BREAK STARTS

Monami sat down on the empty table. It almost seemed strange. Sitting alone. She seemed to always be surrounded lately. Even her quiet times- alone and holed up in a corner- didn't quite seem to be as alone.

"Monami", Faizi called. She glanced up. She tilted her head in slight question at the three trainers.

"Aa jaa", Sanju said. "Akele kaahe ke laane baithi hai?"

Monami glanced at the other two, who tilted their heads welcomingly. She took her plate, hesitantly sitting down on the empty seat, which happened to be next to Karan.

"Jab tak baaki cadets nahi aate, tum humaare saath hi baitho karo", Faizi said, smiling at her.

She smiled slightly, nodding. "Th-Thank you." She looked down at her plate, eating a small bite of her roti. She had spent a fair bit of time with each of the three trainers, but all together? Wasn't she a little out of place with all these big, senior agents?

"Monami", Sanju said. "Tujhe meethe ka shauk hogo, na? Yeh le." She pushed the small bowl of her kheer towards her. "Humaara zyaada mann naa hogo."

Her eyes lit up. "S-Sachhi le l-loon?" She asked. Sanju nodded.

"Arey, humne kya gunah kara tha?" Faizi protested. "Aadha aadha kar deti."

"Oye, bukhadh", Karan said, scowling at him. "Khaane de use. Doosron ke khaane par nazar rakh bas tu apni. Apni plate par dhyaan de."

"Sir ji, aapne hume apne aur Koel ke baare mein naa bataayo, na? Isliye", Sanju teased lightly. "Jhingooron ko humse pehle bata diyo aapne. Hum naa deto apni kheer ab aapko."

Monami chuckled a little. She extended her own bowl to Faizi, taking the one offered by Sanju. Faizi's eyes lit up and he accepted it, scooping a spoonful up happily.

She looked up when Karan nudged her gently. He pushed own bowl towards her, gesturing to it. She smiled, accepting it. "Thank you."

"Anytime."

---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---

Sid pushed open the door to his house. It was his Daddy ji's office hours and even with the high standards he had set for him to redeem, he didn't expect him to leave his business unattended in favor of him.

"Sid", Avinash's voice called.

His head snapped up in surprise, finding him leaning on the railing of the first floor. "Daddy ji?"

Avinash walked down the stairs and Sid grinned, hugging him tightly. "Kaisa hai?" He asked, pulling away.

"Aap ghar par kaise? I mean, abhi toh aapke office hours hai, na?"

"Tu aa raha tha, na? Toh maine saara kaam kal hi kar liya. Aaj subah bas thodi der ka kaam tha, phir main aa gaya." He smiled. "Kaisa hai tu? Tu aur zyaada patla ho gaya hai."

Sid grinned. "Bahut exercise karwaate hai, Daddy ji."

"Dikh raha hai. Achha, Monami shaam ko aayegi, na, ghar par? Maine tum dono ke liye khud mithaai banaayi hai."

"Daddy ji, Monu nahi aayegi. Woh academy mein hi hai."

Avinash frowned. "Kyun?"

"Woh... Daddy ji, uska mann nahi tha."

He sighed. "Deepak aur uska phir se jhagda hua kya?"

Sid scowled slightly. "Jhagdha kahan hota hai? Uncle bas use daantte rehte hain, aur put down karte rehte hain." He shook his head. "Aap woh sab chodho. Aap mujhe woh mithaai dikhao."