Their Choice

Dev's POV

I was driving home from NCA when I saw parents picking up their kids from the playground, and I smiled, knowing that in a few years, I would be one of those parents, picking up my child from their playground. I saw one child being picked up by his grandmother and realized my child might never get that experience. I have to gather the courage and confess the truth; I don't have much time.

I reached home in half an hour and decided to tell Ajji (grandmother) first. She had a love marriage in her time, so I was sure she would understand. Of course, she knew something was going on but never asked. Now I had to tell her.

I went to Ajji, who was swinging and knitting. I stopped the swing and sat on my knees, resting my head on her lap.

"Ajji, you had a love marriage, but what would you have done if your family had refused to let you marry Ajja?" I asked, my voice coming out as a whisper.

"I don't know, beta, but for sure I would have never left your Ajja," she said, caressing my head.

"What if one of you were forced to marry someone else?" I asked.

"Then maybe we would have run away. Higiddaru nivu nannannu eke keluttiddiri?" (Why are you asking me this, anyway?) she asked.

"I love someone," I replied.

"The one you're getting engaged to, right?" she asked doubtfully, and I shook my head negatively.

"Ninu enu heluttiruve maga?" (What are you saying, son?) she asked worriedly, and I confessed everything except the last part.

"Why didn't you tell me all this earlier? Now breaking this rishta is going to affect your sister's marriage," she said.

"I know, Ajji, but I didn't have a choice. I didn't want to make Amma and Appa sad," I said.

"You are going to confess this to Aniska," she said. Aniska is the girl my mom chose for me.

"She already knows. The situation is the same there; she also loves someone else."

"O devare!" she sighed.

"You will talk to Amma and Appa, right?" I asked.

"It will take time, but I will. Okay, don't worry," she assured me.

*3 days later* at Dev's House

"Did you talk to the doctors?" I asked Adi. She was leaving for Mumbai today, and I planned to join her in two days.

"Yeah, we have to get the sonogram done. She said to get it done as soon as possible," she said.

"Hm, don't worry. We'll get it done this week," I assured her.

"Dev, did you talk to Amma and Appa?" she asked.

"No, but I talked to Ajji. She is going to talk to them," I said.

"Did you tell her about the baby?" she asked. I shook my head negatively and said, "I was afraid she would refuse if I told her everything all at once. So today, I am going to tell her about it. Did Mom and Dad call?"

"Not even a message," she said, a tear rolling down her face. "I miss them so much. Why wouldn't they understand us? And if not for us, then at least for the sake of their grandchild, they could be at peace with this, right?" She was crying by now.

"Adi, please don't cry. We have done everything we could to convince them. I'm sure in a few days, they will call you and accept us," I tried to assure her. I couldn't see her like this, miserable. She didn't deserve this. Why wouldn't they agree?

After a while, she showed me a cute beanie she got for the baby. "Isn't this cute?" she asked.

"It is. Look, I got something too," I replied, showing her a cute unicorn I got for the baby. After all, she is a miracle.

"Show me the baby," I said, kissing the phone, and both of us giggled.

"Do you feel anything, Adi?" I asked curiously.

"Honestly, nothing physically right now, but I just feel this different kind of energy in me, like something powerful."

"Wow," I said, surprised.

"You know, we can hear the baby's heartbeat in three months?" I said dreamily.

"I know, I am so excited," she said. Suddenly, her expression changed to a worried one. That's when I saw the reflection of my mother standing at the door of my room. I immediately disconnected the call. They weren't supposed to be at the house; they had gone out shopping. What should I do now? I had no idea.

"Whose baby?" Mom asked. There was no point in lying now, so I confessed, "Me and Advika are going to be parents."

"Are you even in your senses right now?" she asked, shaking my shoulders. I nodded. After a while, she spoke, "Nanna maneyinda horage hogu" (leave my house). Mom pointed towards the door. I knew this was coming.

"Amma, please," I begged.

"Didn't you hear what I said? Leave my house," she ordered, and I did as she said without saying anything further. We tried all we could. If this is their choice, we can't do anything. I have to be with my girlfriend and child right now. They need me there with them. That's all I know.