Chapter 25

I was afraid of change, afraid to leave my comfort zone. I was used to not forming emotional bonds with anyone to avoid worries or conflicts, and I loved the peace it brought me.

I was also scared of meeting someone who would make me feel the same way Matt did. Not just because he cheated on me or left me for her, but also because I felt I didn't truly love him. I hadn't connected with him the way my characters did in my books.

But with Kalem, it was different and a bit frightening.

I was typing quickly and thoughtlessly on the keys of my laptop while sitting on my bed. I spent several hours writing to distract myself until I lost track of time and went to sleep late into the night. The next day, after university, I had to go to my mom's café for my shift, even though I didn't really feel like going because I knew the brown-haired guy worked that day.

Ben didn't miss the distance between Kalem and me. He noticed how Kalem gave me quick glances while attending to some tables and how I avoided looking at him by distracting myself preparing coffee behind the counter with Ben.

"Come on, spill the gossip. It looks really juicy," he said, putting his elbows on the counter and giving me that look.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, Heather, don't play dumb. Anyone can feel the tension in the air. Tell me, why are you avoiding the guy?"

"Don't be nosy."

"Come on, I thought you knew me. You should be used to this, and I don't think you saw my interrogation coming," he smiled, intrigued. "Did you break up?"

"But we haven't even started, what are you talking about, Benjamin?"

Though it felt like we had.

"Well, then tell me what happened."

I sighed and told him what had happened. Ben seemed genuinely interested in the gossip as always and waited for me to finish before speaking.

"That's why you both look so sad. I'll take a coffee to cheer up the guy," he said, and I stared at him. "What? I like the guy, he's sweet, and he talks and talks, and always spills the gossip without realizing it," he laughed.

Ben was about to go to where Kalem was sitting because he was on his break, but he stopped when he saw his family nanny, Sofía, enter and sit in front of him.

"Oh, look, she beat me to it," he said, and I stayed silent watching them. Ben gave me a few amused glances. "Doesn't that make you feel anything, or are you going to deny it?"

"Shh, shut up, Benjamin," I slapped his hand.

"You can tell the girl is drooling over him."

"You're not helping," I rolled my eyes, still watching them while pretending to clean the counter with a cloth. "Besides, who wouldn't drool over him? Kalem is exactly what you'd want, and when he smiles, you fall even more for him," I huffed because the brown-haired guy was smiling at her.

"Look, he's smiling at her," he nudged me gently in the waist.

"Benjamin, shut up," I whispered.

"Or do you want him to smile at you that way?" he smirked.

"I can't deal with you," I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

"Maybe I'm your conscience."

"I don't think so. What do you think they're talking about?" I asked, trying to sound indifferent.

"Why the interest? Are you jealous? Just admit it."

"I'm not jealous."

"Uh-huh."