Chapter 28

Kalem and I walked hand in hand until we reached the university greenhouse. I was sure his teammates were looking for him to celebrate, but Kalem wanted to spend time with me. The two of us sat on the edge of a low wooden table as I watched the brunette touch the petals of a flower.

He looked so calm and absorbed in the plant.

Kalem radiated such peace just by being near him.

"Have you always liked gardening?" I spoke, and he turned to look at me.

"Since I was little, my grandfather would have me plant seeds in his garden with him." A tender, nostalgic smile crossed his face.

"I bet that's a lovely memory," I said, touching the fabric bracelets on his wrist, and he nodded. "Kalem."

"Heather."

I stared at him for a few seconds, he stroked my hair encouraging me to continue. His caresses were gentle.

"A few days ago, I accidentally called you," I said, and his forehead furrowed, looking confused. "And you hung up suddenly without letting me speak. Were you mad at me? Because if you were, I really understand."

"Heather." He put his hand on my cheek and didn't take his sky-blue eyes off mine. "I couldn't get mad at you. Even if I wanted to. Plus, I don't remember any call from you, and trust me, I would remember because it's you, and I don't have it in my call log." He took out his phone from his pocket to check, showing me the call log.

"But someone answered the phone." I furrowed my brow, confused.

Kalem seemed to be thinking, then his face lit up, and he chuckled.

"What?"

"I just remembered that a few days ago, I forgot my phone at home, and when I got back, Khaled gave it to me, saying he had taken good care of it, then left with a weird smile." The brunette shook his head and put his hand on his forehead, amused.

"That little guy." I laughed. "He's conspiring against us."

"Us?" A lovely smile formed on his face as he heard me say that. "Is there an 'us' already, little writer?"

"Wait, don't rush it." I smiled. "I still have questions to ask."

"Ask me anything you want," he said, seeming eager to answer them so we could address the topic. Oh, this guy.

You really like him, Heather. Don't pretend otherwise.

"That time you ignored me while you were running across campus and passed by me, did you do it on purpose to make me suffer a bit?" I raised an eyebrow, curious.

"Heather." He smiled charmingly, dropping his head onto my shoulder near my neck. "When I run with my headphones on, everything around me disappears. Don't take it personally." And to mess with my hormones, he planted a kiss on my neck and then raised his gaze again. "You also made me suffer these days by ignoring me. You're mean, Heather del Socorro."

"I know, and I'm sorry for that, sugar boy." I ran my hand through his hair to tidy it up; his chestnut hair was beautiful, and I had to admit I liked it when it looked messy.

"Do you have more questions?" He gave me that good boy smile, enjoying my touch. Then, he put his hand on my waist. Kalem loved it when I touched him, even if they were innocent caresses.

And I did too when he did it.

Push away those impure thoughts, Heather Monserrat. Focus, girl.

"Why did you quit your job so suddenly? It wasn't because of me, right? Tell me it wasn't."