Cursed Love

I'm coiled up like a venomous serpant
Tangled in your heart and I'm certain
You've got your hooks in me.

The morning sun shone brightly at Alejandro's base, casting long shadows on the tarmac. A helicopter landed, its blades whipping up a cloud of dust. Soap and Captain Price disembarked, their expressions grim as they headed towards the hospital.

Ghost was sitting on a bench outside the operating room, waiting. It had been two hours since they brought her in, and each minute felt like an eternity. His eyes were closed, his head resting against the back of the bench. Despite the exhaustion that weighed heavily on him, his uniform was still intact, the skull mask firmly in place, hiding the turmoil underneath.

Soap approached him first, his usual bravado subdued. "How is she?" he asked quietly, glancing at the closed doors of the operating room.

Ghost opened his eyes slowly, the intense gaze giving nothing away. "Still in there," he replied, his voice barely more than a whisper.

Captain Price placed a reassuring hand on Ghost's shoulder. "She's strong, Simon. She'll pull through."

Ghost nodded, though the worry etched into his posture didn't ease. "She has to," he muttered, more to himself than anyone else.

The three men sat in silence, the weight of the situation pressing down on them. The sun continued its ascent, its warmth contrasting sharply with the cold dread that had settled over them. Every so often, Ghost would glance at the doors, willing them to open with good news.

Soap, despite his own injuries-a bandage over his arm and another on his head from trying to save Nora-stood resolute. When the doors to the operating room finally opened, revealing two doctors, Captain Price and Ghost immediately stood up.

"How is she?" Ghost's voice was laced with urgency.

The doctors exchanged a glance before one of them spoke. "Please come to the office," he said, his tone serious. Captain Price, Soap, and Ghost followed them without hesitation.

Once inside the office, the doctor gestured for them to sit. Ghost remained standing, his eyes never leaving the doctor's face.

"She went into septic shock," the doctor began, his expression grave. "She had a miscarriage due to severe internal bleeding, and unfortunately, we couldn't save the pregnancy.
The bleeding caused an infection, which led to septic shock. We had to perform an emergency procedure to clear the infection. We're doing everything we can, but the next 24 hours are critical."

Ghost's fists clenched at his sides. "Will she make it?" His voice was a mixture of anger and desperation.

"We're giving her strong antibiotics and monitoring her closely. She's stable for now, but it's a delicate situation," the second doctor explained.

Captain Price placed a reassuring hand on Ghost's shoulder. "She's a fighter, Simon. She'll get through this."

Soap, despite his own pain, nodded. "She's tougher than she looks. She'll pull through."

Ghost finally sank into a chair, the weight of the situation pressing down on him. "I should have gotten to her sooner," he muttered, more to himself than anyone else.

"You did everything you could," Price said firmly. "And now she's in the best possible hands."

The doctors gave a brief nod. "We'll keep you updated on her condition. For now, try to get some rest. She'll need you when she wakes up."

"Can I see her now?" Ghost asked, his voice strained with a mix of hope and fear.

"Yes, sure," the doctor replied, standing up. "Follow me."