Don't Give Up on Me (Lucy)

"Lockwood!"

Two things: either I run to him and meet the ghost halfway, or keep Lockwood safe from the falling cabinet behind him. I can throw a salt-bomb, and while the ghost struggles, I can take Lockwood. But then, there was a tumble. Fate had decided for me.

"Lockwood!" I screamed again. Something hits his head. I run, carrying my plan now. Screw it. I have to save him. The ghost disintegrated at the scene, and I ran faster and got to Lockwood in time before the cabinet tumbled down.

Then, Lockwood was unconscious-head bleeding.

"George, Holly—help!" I screamed.
"Lockwood, stay with me, okay? Stay with me, please. I will get you help, and you'll be alright."

It was another minute before George busts in.

"What happened?" He asked, his eyes darting between Lockwood and me.

"That cabinet right there...the contain...it fell...and now Lockwood's... George, you have to find the source. Destroy it. I have to help Lockwood. What if... something bad happens to him?" Lockwood was in my arms, safe under it. I held him tight. Getting blood all over me.

"Alright, alright... wait, look at that," He pointed.

"That's the container that fell on Lockwood's head," I said. I felt myself tearing up a bit.

"I think that's the source," George said, getting close to it. He opened and poked it with the edge of his rapier. Before finally opening the lid with his snubby fingers. "Right... there's bones here. This must be it."

I took a deep breath of relief. Lockwood was still unresponsive in my arms. No shuffling, no anything. He's just lying there, as peaceful as he's sleeping.

-/-

An ambulance was called, and we'd settle the payments with our client. DEPRAC rolled their vans, and everything was quite a scene. I was given a chocolate bar by Holly.

"He'll be fine, don't worry, you've done an excellent job back there," Holly said, patting my back.

"But I just watched him suffer," I said, crying still.

"No, you snatched him away before he got himself stuck with something worse. You did the right thing," Holly smiled. I wish I could share her view, but in my eyes, I got Lockwood in danger. Again. Second time this week. "And you've also sacrificed yourself. Look at your arm."

Right. I did get stitches from a huge cut. Just as I was dragging Lockwood away, I caught my arm somewhere sharp, and I really couldn't remember. Later, I realized that I had gotten a cut. Part of it was because my arms were drenched with Lockwood's blood. I refused to let go of Lockwood until help came. He was safe with me. It mattered to me that he was always close.

"That's not as much as what Lockwood's gotten," I shake my head. "It's my fault, in the first place."

"Oh, would you stop that? It's not. Lockwood is alright. You've gotten him help. He'll be fine." I really wanted to believe Holly.

-/-

"Lucy?" I heard a call from the floor below me. "Luce?" I ran as quickly as I could. From my attic room towards his room. He's awake. I started crying. Tears flew as I jumped down the stairs.

"Lockwood!" I called back. "I'm here!" I pushed the door open. He was there, head wrapped in bandages. "Oh...Lockwood," my hand made its way to my chest. I swept my tears away.

"Why are you crying? What happened?" And for Pete's sake. He's the one asking me if I was alright.

"I'm alright, I'm just...I'm sorry," I said, finding a place next to him and kneeling by his side.