That Bit On Your Hip (Lockwood)

"Why do we always get cases with such haunted staircases?" Lucy asked.

"Well, Luce, we're mansion specialists. It's quite anticipated," I replied.

"But why must it be the stairs, in particular?" She carried on.

"Well, a lot of people die on the stairs, or at least would be buried in the cupboards under it, so it makes a lot of sense," George said.

"That too would be a good explanation for it." I agreed with him.

"I think I should write this on the case file tonight. I feel like writing. George, would you mind?" Lucy asked him.

"No, it's alright," he replied.

The brightness of dawn began to appear as we walked away from the tall building of Cornwall Terrace, Regent's Park. A property owned by young Mrs. Collingswood. It had been haunted by a Type Two, a homicide victim who was shoved inside the cupboard under the stairs. It was only but mere rumours at first, but when we got to the investigation, it seemed about a hundred per cent true. Sometimes, rumours save lives. Lucy believed it from the start to be true, while George, on the other hand, didn't. In the end, Lucy was right, and George was saved from ghost-touch.

Apart from that, as we were ascending the stairs, I couldn't quite help but notice that Lucy had something about her hip. It looked rather flattering earlier tonight. It always does. She walks in a certain manner that gives off confidence and grace. She might be stiff most times, but there are certain moments where she's totally flawless and sophisticated. I try to put my mind away from such a thought, but I can't help but remember it. And it's not exactly helpful that she's walking ahead of me and of George. And now my view was all about how she walked. No matter how hard I try not to look. I am a gentleman, and I would never try to take advantage of any girl, but this situation—can't be helped.

"I wish breakfast today would be good," She murmurs.

"Yeah," I nodded. She looked at me weirdly.

"You heard? How? I thought it was quiet enough." She cocks her head slightly off to one side.

"I have polar bear senses." I joked. 

"That is odd." George chimed in. "So, whenever I sing in my room, you could hear it?"

"Oh, clear as day," I grinned.

"And whenever I talk to myself, upstairs, too?" Lucy asked.

"Sometimes, but I thought you were just on the phone or recording some tapes, so I never thought much about it." I shrugged.

"Thank God! I hope you don't think I'm insane," She came off a little shy.

"Not at all, I've heard that intrapersonal communication is a healthy exercise, every once and a while." I winked at her, and her smile widened.

"As long as you don't do it too much," George adds. "Or else, that would mean you've completely gone mad."

"Alright, but whatever you heard, you need to keep it a hush-hush, alright, Lockwood?" She says, looking me straight in the eye.

"You're fine, and you have my word." I grinned in agreement. "But yeah, I'd hear anything you say, and come to think of it, that might be because all else is quiet."

-/-

"Your magazines are ridiculous, mate!" It's been a while since I've seen George throw his head back in laughter. We both sat in the living room, at our own, and silently marked seats.

"And why is that?" I admit that I know, but still, I'm a little wounded. These magazines are extending my will to live, constantly. I have every right to be sour at his poor view of my hobby.

"Why, this one just declared that the hip is a human's most attractive body part! You honestly don't believe anything they put in here, do you?" He is quite amused.

"Well, isn't it the most attractive part?" I rolled my eyes. I recollected last night's affairs. Well, isn't it just quite a coincidence for him to bring this up now?

"Tell me, who do you know has the most attractive hips?" He bats an eye back at me. And asking this, to add insult to injury.

"Well, not much people, but Lucy does." I retorted. I knew my answer right away. Well, I could start digging for my grave.

"Oh, so you think Lucy's hips are attractive?" He smirks.

"Don't start, I'm just saying," I faced away, to conceal my blushing cheeks.

"So, you do look at her like that?" I couldn't tell if he was teasing, or actually accusing me.

"Good God, no! I respect her, I know where to keep my eyes," I said. Hoping that would be a sound reply to his question. It was partly true, but in general, Lucy is an intriguing figure. You can't help but look at everything about her, or at least I do think so.

"Well, of all the names you could have given me when I asked you who you thought has the most attractive hips, you said her, immediately," He sounded slightly disappointed. "It's clearly saying something." He smiles mischievously, once more.

"Well, sometimes, you really could appreciate the beauty of the people you live with, George. I'm just admiring what I think is beautiful. Is that so wrong?" I try my usual grin at him.

"So, you find me beautiful too, then, Lockwood?" He matches my grin.

"In quite a different way, George. You have a beautiful soul and the best cooking ability. That's your beauty." That should convince him.

"That's apparently so different than how you'd find Lucy beautiful. Honestly, I don't know how long will you be able to keep lying to yourself." He sighs.

"Well, you must not say anything to her. I do find her really pretty, and I trust in you not to shame me for it, but I need to take my time to able to be open about it." I pleaded.

"I'm gonna go ahead and mould my beauty and make us some breakfast." He smiled as he headed for the door. "Oh, and Lockwood? It's alright. I won't judge, and my lips are sealed."

At that, I smiled.

"Lucy does have the most beautiful hips I've ever seen," I said, more to myself as I continued to reminisce on how they moved. In the corner of my eye, I see the ghost in the jar twitch into a wide grimace, at the table, and glowing with his usual green. I rolled my eyes. I hope he keeps his mouth shut, too.

A/N: I screamed when the skull told Lucy about the hip thing, and I'd like to imagine that something sparked that conversation, and coincidentally, the skull was there to hear it. If George was really in it, though, as Lockwood talked about it to him, he is good at keeping his word, and if the skull only said it to Lucy, just for kicks, then he's an absolute shipper, regardless. I have a high-functioning imagination running, so—you're welcome!

-Kav🪻