Chapter 10

Crystalstar ran and ran. She scented fox, and it was close. But she could also smell something else... 'Spottedpaw?!' She looked over to see the limp body of the Medicine Cat slumped against the tree branch. Without thinking she raced over to the tree branch. She nudged him. "Spottedpaw! Wake up!" Crystalstar murmured. She smelled a strong scent of fox. She prayed to StarClan the patrol made it back. She grabbed Spottedpaw by the scruff and raced back to camp. She saw Specklefoot and set Spottedpaw next to her. Specklefoot glanced at her brother. She couldn't see him, but his left ear was torn off and there was a deep gash bleeding on his cheek,bleeding like crazy on the camp floor. "Where's the patrol?" Crystalstar panicked. She whipped around to face a fox. She slashed at its muzzle. It's snout welled with blood. Crystalstar drew back her lip in a viscous snarl of battle. She leaped over it as it bounded towards her. She flicked her claw and scratched down the fox's back. It whittled around and snapped at Crystalstar. The leader reared back. The fox slashed at Crystalstar's open belly. It sliced open and Crystalstar fell to the ground with a thud.

Barkpelt and Sunheart ran, thinking Nightspirit was behind them so when they stopped to take a breather they panicked. "Where is Nightspirit?" Sunheart asked looking for her lost brother. Barkpelt also looked around, Nightspirit was his best friend, then a reality hit him as he smelled their scent... Nightspirit scent was not anywhere near them. "I don't know Sunheart, I think he's still with the fox..." Barkpelt replied. "What?!" Sunheart meowed. She prayed to StarClan that he was okay. Nightspirit was battling the fox, one on one, the fox was young, but still big. They were both wounded. Then the fox tried to leap on Nghtspirit and Nightspirit whacked the fox on a tree. While the fox was stumbling and trying to get up Nightspirit padded over to it and made the killing blow, he used so much energy though that he fell unconscious next to it.  Cloudfur raced to the area the patrol was in, then literally ran into Barkpelt. "Sorry Barkpelt!" Cloudfur meowed. "It's fine." he meowed. "But we got bigger problems. We have no idea where Nightspirit is." "I'll find him, both of you stay here.' Cloudfur replied. She kept on going, then she saw a dead fox and a unconscious Nightspirit. She checked his pulse. 'He's alive. Good.' she thought. Then carried him by the scruff to Barkpelt and Sunheart, which was very hard considering he was taller than her. Cloudfur gave both of them Nightspirit and told them to bring him back to camp. Cloudfur was searching everywhere for Crystalstar, then finally she found her. Cloudfur raced to her leader and applied dock leaves, marigold, burdock root, and a lot of spider web to all the scratches. Then she fed Crystalstar juniper berries. Cloudfur tried to carry her back to camp,and was miserably failing, she finally got a good grip and carried her. She layed her down in the clearing and prayed to StarClan that she was okay..... she was like a mother to Cloudfur. Barkpelt and Sunheart were finished carrying Nightspirit, and layed him down in the Medicine Cat den. Then they saw Cloudfur come in carrying their unconscious leader into the clearing and layer her down. "No! Crystalstar!" Barkpelt meowed, and ran over to his sister and cried. 'I hope she doesn't die.' he thought. Then he felt Cloverclaw sit next to him and cry too. He had never in his life ever, seen Cloverclaw cry. Sunheart didn't know what to do. It was sort of awkward for her because she knew that Crystalstar was like a mother to them when she saved them in the coldness of winter. She didn't know if she should let them air out, or join them. She was going to choose to let them air out, but she realized, she was raised by her parents until she was a apprentice. But they weren't they don't even know their parents names... and to see how sad Barkpelt was broke her heart. So she sat next to him and let him lean on her for comfort, even though he was taller than her. Then they heard Mistyheart let out a pure shriek of terror.