Chapter 5: Wrong/Right decision ?!

Moirai’s  POV:

It was 10 in the morning. Results were coming out online by 11. I had one hour left. After this, there would be no more school. Shags and I would never be together again. We had choices to be made. We had 3 options:

Science, Commerce and Arts.

I always wanted to go for Astrophysics and I had my research done. I planned to go to Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA), Bangalore after graduation. I loved watching stars and constellations. I had many of my guesses right about them. Almost every night, I would stare at the sky, it felt great.

Shags chose Science. Just, because I was going to take up Science. She knew about all my research. I hadn’t informed my dad about my plans yet.

I checked my watch, it was still 10:35 am. I was sitting in front of my laptop, slightly tensed, I checked the website which would show me my result. But, that page wouldn’t open before 11.

“Aaaarrrggghhh.”, I thought irritably, “Why don’t they just tell me my result right now.” I was tired of waiting.

I checked my watch again, it was 10:55 am. I had 5 minutes more. I kept waiting.

My parents were sitting beside me. Dad had taken a day off. I felt special.

My mom wore a very calm expression. That was comforting. My dad had a serious expression on his face and that was disturbing!

10:59 am

I entered the web address in the bar and pressed enter. A page showed up, that asked for my seat no. I entered my seat no and pressed enter.

I was happy with my score. I scored 87%.

I saw mom was smiling. “Yeaayy, moms happy”, I thought. I turned to see my dad’s expression, he was quiet. I kept staring at his expression and suddenly he broke into the weirdest dance move I had ever seen. I broke into laughter. They were happy.

I immediately went back and entered Shags’s seat no. I knew she was too lazy and she wouldn’t have checked her results yet. Otherwise, she would have called.

I was happy with her score too. She scored 87% too!

Epic!

We overall scored the same!

Yaaayy!! I had to tell Shags. I called her. No answer. I called again. No answer. Was she sleeping? I called her mother, she picked up. Even she knew I wouldn’t speak to her so, she immediately spoke “Hello dear, Shagun is still sleeping. I’ll wake her up and she’ll call you back in some.”

I replied with a nod. I had this habit of nodding and even when I was talking on phone, I would nod. Then, realise they can’t see that.

“Hmm” is all I said.

I turned to face dad, who was standing behind me. I wanted to tell him about my plans. I rarely spoke to my parents. I opened my mouth to speak, but my voice won’t come out. It felt awkward. I tried to speak but I couldn’t frame my thoughts. This does not mean I never ever spoke a word, I talked to Shags that was easy. But, I don’t know why I had problem in speaking in front of my Mom-Dad.

But I had to talk to them. I had to tell him what I wanted to do.

“Dad, umm, I wanted to take up, ah, Science. And then, masters in Astrophysics from IIA, umm, Bangalore?” I could barely complete the sentence and it came out as a question.

He was quick with his reply, ” Astrophysics does not have scope in India. You should take up something that has a wider scope here.”

My face fell. That’s all I wanted to do. I never asked for expensive shoes or accessories like my cousins. My dad, he was rich. I would never have problems in buying anything I want. But, I never found a reason to spend money on useless stuff.

He continued,” And why Bangalore? You have many great institutes here in Mumbai too.”

“IIA is the best institute, umm, for astrophysics.”, I cried.

“Even if that is 5 years from now, I won’t let you go to Bangalore for something that does not even have scope. You better find something else.”, he decided.

I knew he wouldn’t understand. He wouldn’t even listen to me. He wasn’t this rude all the time but, today, he had decided it for me.

My cell phone buzzed, it was Shags.

I told her about all that happened in the last couple of minutes. I cried. But, I decided I would do what dad told me, find something else.

And made the most stupid decision of my Life [though, I don’t regret it now].

I chose Commerce because I loved playing with numbers (this is the best reason I could think of. I had chosen Commerce just because I’m stupid when I am angry.)

  Shags and I, we got admitted in colleges, different colleges. She opted for Science and I for Commerce.

The new college was different. I wasn’t comfortable talking to anyone there. It was difficult.

It was a Start of Something New in Moirai’s Life. It felt so Wrong. Until...