50

The imperial palace was bustling with people summoned since the morning. They were the five archbishops, who are the leaders of each faction, and the five commanders of the paladin knight orders.

The young Holy Emperor sat crookedly on his jade throne, supporting his chin with one hand, and gazing down at them with an impassive face. The archbishops and commanders were quick to realize.

'He's in a bad mood.'

The Holy Emperor's calm voice echoed in the tranquil palace.

"I can imagine that my long absence has caused everyone a great deal of concern. I believe that the Holy Empire's current prosperity is due to the hard work of loyal subjects like you all. How could I not appreciate it?"

"......"

None of them were ignorant of the fact that they were not summoned for praises.

"Furthermore, I heard there is even someone who does not only perform his own duties excellently but also takes the initiative to help others. Such an attitude, what a truly admirable attitude for a paladin to have"

What's more, the Holy Emperor, who usually prefers to be succinct, is being unusually verbose today. He's clearly in a very bad mood!

Sir Durand, the Commander of the Paladin Order of St. Marcias who had sent his knights to monitor an area outside his jurisdiction, was silently breaking out in cold sweat.

"Dame Agnes."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

An elderly woman, with her white hair neatly coiled up and dressed in the violet uniform of the Holy Knights, bowed in a rigid posture. It was Agnes Mayer, the commander of the St. Gracia Order, a long-standing spiritual pillar.

"I heard you requested to borrow some of the Imperial Guard knights this time. Are you planning to send the Fourth Missionary Unit to the southern front again?"

The sudden mention of the southern front caught the old paladin off guard, but she obediently responded.

"Yes, Your Majesty. The southern front has somewhat stabilized, but there are still some disturbances occurring. Regrettably, during the large-scale heresy uprising two years ago, we lost a significant number of our young knights. The newly supplemented young knights lack experience, so we thought we might need some help from the Imperial Guards for this missionary journey."

It was a fitting move for the St. Gracia Order, who always rushed to the most difficult front without sparing thoughts for their own wellbeing, following the path of their own saint, Gracia, also known as Saint of Servitude.

"There should be no need for the Imperial Guard for that matter. Don't we have plenty of seasoned and excellent knights who have the leisure to help others?"

Ah. Then the archbishops and commanders, who had finally understood the Holy Emperor's intent, turned their eyes in unison to Commander Durand.

The Emperor continued, directing his words to the anxious old knight, "Extending a hand of gospel to the heretics is one of the important tasks bestowed upon us by the God, but delivering a hammer blow to the heresy that threatens the empire is equally necessary. Neither of these tasks should be overdone or neglected."

He specifically meant that the St. Marcias Order should dispatch as many of their own to the southern front as much as St. Gracia Order have had.

"If your efforts continue, perhaps one day, the God's glory will also reach the barren south."

He was also implying that they should continue to dispatch forces consistently, taking care of their own bodies.

Almost involuntarily, Commander Durand cried out to the Holy Emperor, "Your Majesty! But if so, there will be a gap in the Inquisitors' duties...!"