78

The line was fairly long, but their assessment did not take much time.

From the get-go, those affected by the Gray Plague usually experienced a decrease in consciousness first. There were none who were infected with the larvae of Lophellum and could still walk on two legs.

About half of the people who had filled the prison and courtyard of the capital guard were quickly assessed as they passed by the table.

First Phase: Jibril, the plague doctor from Lyora.

Dressed in almost perfect protective gear, she briefly scanned the patients. If she determined they didn't have the Gray Plague, she immediately sprayed rose-scented perfume.

"Before standing before His Highness, thoroughly remove the foul smell to prevent disease! Foul smells are the root of all diseases!"

Damn charlatan Lyora plague doctor!

Second Phase: Trustworthy fighting dog Francis.

While incessantly coughing due to the strong perfume, he double-checked whether he felt the aura of demons from the patients passing by.

"You promised, Your Highness! To the commander, *cough*! Please properly convey my, *cough* efforts... *choke*!"

You good-for-nothing, only brag after you've done your job.

Third Phase: The bastard Demon King—along with Lee Seongjin.

The Demon King scrutinized the chests and heads of the people passing by and whispered to Seongjin.

[No Lophellum larvae, no inflammation. Confirmation complete. Hehehe.]

Feeling the pride emanating from him was rather uncomfortable.

Fourth Phase: Treasurer Masain.

He handed a few copper coins to the people who had been assessed and emphasized as he uncomfortably looked them in the eye.

"The one who saved your lives today is Prince Morres! Live without ever forgetting to be grateful. Understood?"

...Sir Masain, please stop! You're making me want to die of embarrassment!

And finally, they received a loaf of rye bread and an apple from Sir Haven and Dame Claudia before leaving the capital guard.

With a puzzled expression, she was wondering whether this was a dream or reality.

After a number of people had queued and been processed, Dame Claudia quietly murmured.

"Is giving just a few copper coins really enough? That'll barely cover a meal on their way home."

"It's appropriate," Seongjin replied.

"If you can take these people to their homes and watch over them until they spend all the money, then more can be given. But..."

Unneeded favors can sometimes be poison to those who cannot handle it. It's unfortunate, but that's the limit.

"...Ah!"

Dame Claudia seemed to have an epiphany and looked at Seongjin with twinkling eyes.

She looks at me like that every time she's hungry. Didn't she sneakily eat a loaf of rye bread earlier?

Just when there were only a few people left in line, a burly middle-aged man rushed out from the building of the capital guard.

He was the tardy captain of the capital guard who just heard about the situation.

"What is, what is all this nonsense?! Why are you releasing all the prisoners?!"

Then, Dame Sharon, who had been monitoring the capital guard, stepped forward to intercept him.