105

A martyr of the republic.

This was a rather intense expression to use in front of the republic's last sword. It blatantly revealed the belief that, no matter the effort, the republican camp was ultimately doomed to defeat.

Startled by the boy's sudden remark, it was Justin who looked at him in shock.

However, instead of getting angry, Gale wore a bitter smile. In the end, the boy's words accurately pierced through the currents of the time.

After the establishment of the republic in central Ortona, there was some initial chaos, but Ortona soon regained stability.

For about two years, the new government successfully governed, and their conciliation efforts towards the local nobles were very smooth. It was unlikely that a civil war would ignite so easily just from the remaining royalists' minor provocations.

There were other unseen hands in Ortona's civil war, hoping for the republic's downfall.

Hands powerful enough to sway the powers and capital of the continent.

Now, even if a distinguished Sword Master were to fight valiantly, it was unlikely to change the outcome. It's no wonder that the astute Prince Benicio, deeply despaired, was squandering his days in alcohol.

"Officially, it is said that the Brittanian army joined the war at the request of the King of Ortona."

Gale silently listened to the boy's calm voice.

As he said, after the establishment of the republic, the exiled King of Ortona promised Brittany a part of the western territory in return for their support. This was the same territory ceded to Ortona by Brittany a hundred years ago.

A sufficient pretext for the Brittanian royal family to get actively involved.

"However, it was the Delcross Holy Empire that mediated the territorial cession a hundred years ago. There's a high likelihood that they are involved in this return of land too."

But that's not all. The Ortona Merchant Coalition was also supporting the royalists with massive capital.

With the royalists' tacit approval, part of the southern region of Ortona, including the capital, was to be declared an independent free trade zone. Naturally, this free trade zone would be adjacent to Delcross.

"While the merchant coalition is ostensibly led by Young Master Asein, he is, in fact, a third party, ultimately having to maneuver with Delcross in the middle. If it were not the empire, there would be no need for him to actively intervene."

Gale's face had hardened. The boy, facing him, calmly revealed the truth Gale never wanted to hear.

"Behind all this is the Delcross Empire, General."

The Delcross Holy Empire, the millennium-old sanctuary.

The land ruled by the continent's most powerful absolute monarch, and a place that despised the Ortona republic more than anyone else.

No matter how hard Gale tried, he could never defy the flow created by this unseen hand of the continent.

That's why the boy called it a meaningless fight. If Delcross decided to eliminate the republic, it was already an unchangeable outcome.

Realizing his vague suspicions confirmed by an unexpected source, Gale felt an odd calm settle in his heart.

"...Such a young friend yet with such remarkable insight."

How long will this fight continue?

Until Prince Benicio, the spiritual leader and head of the republican remnants, makes a decision.