Part 19

Justin

With a trembling smile and worried eyes, Ma greeted me at the door, her hands wringing nervously as she searched my face for reassurance. She sees Jo sleeping in my arms and keeps quiet. I walk over to Jo's room and lay her down on her bed. I close the door behind me and walk towards the living room with my mom.

"What happened?" she asks me worriedly.

"Don. He went to the studio to pick Jo up. Emma didn't let her go with him."

"Emma? Oh, the girl who works there!".

"Yes ma. Emma didn't let Jo leave with Don since she had not seen him around the studio. When she refused, he tried to grab Jo by basically attacking her."

"Oh my God," she gasps.

"Yeah, it doesn't end there. When I walked in, he was prepared to go at her again. Jo, who saw all of this, began crying till she fell asleep."

"I don't know what to say," she says, noticing my hand.

"Your hand!" she grabs as she inspects the swollen wrist.

"It would have been a lot worse if Emma hadn't stopped me. How did he know about Jo's dance class in the first place? Why would he go there?". My mom looks at her palms with guilt.

"I..I told him about the class. He wanted to know more about the both of you. I didn't know all of this would happen," she sobs.

"What did you think would happen, ma? He is a selfish jerk who thinks only about himself. I can't even begin to imagine why you would let him back into our lives again. We are so much better without him!" I shout, my voice shaking with fury.

"We are fine now. What about when I'm gone? Who will take care of you and Jo?".

"I told you I would take care of her! She's my sister!" I say out frustratedly.

She wipes her tears. "I refuse to burden your life, Justin. You are young; you have to live your life according to you."

"How is it a burden? She doesn't even remember Don. He can't look after us. He left us, remember? What makes you think he won't do it again?"

"I just do this time. Please stop arguing about this. Don's going to be a part of your life, whether you like it or not. Stop being difficult about this."

"No! I will never accept this," I say with exasperation. I turn away from her and head up to my room. I hated Don for the past 6 years for leaving us. I can't seem to understand why my mom was so set on giving him another chance. The more I argue with her, the more tired she gets. I slammed the door hard. Everything in my life was messed up. My hand was throbbing with pain. I hadn't noticed it earlier, but now it hurt like a bitch. I was not sure how I would be able to play the upcoming game this week with my hand, but I would have to play anyway. I didn't have much of a choice.

I continued my practice the next morning with my bandaged hand. I purposefully skipped the push-ups and any other exercises involving my hand. Thankfully, no one noticed. After practice and a quick shower, I head to my classes. Once inside the DSA class, I check my phone. I can see a message from Emma.

Emma: Hey, I hope you got home safely. Thank you for helping me earlier.

Shit! I hadn't checked my phone since yesterday. To be honest, after Emma stopped responding to my messages, I was hooked on my phone a lot. About two weeks later, when I finally realized she wasn't interested, I stopped messaging or calling her. I didn't want to trouble her anymore. Once I did that, with my work and things at home. I was off social media for good. Frankly, I didn't have the time, but seeing the message from her gives me a glimmer of hope that maybe she will give me another chance. I quickly responded.