Part 17

Justin

I consoled a devastated Jo, who is clinging to me and answering the questions that the cops ask me, Thankfully, Emma didn't tell them that I beat the shit out of Don. I just went along with what Emma told the cops; the officer didn't bother much about my bruised hand either. Once we were done with all the questions, I was sitting on the floor, and Jo had fallen asleep on my lap. I informed my mother about what happened and told her that we would be heading home late. She wanted to come as soon as she heard, but I asked her not to since everything was handled. The officer, who was now speaking to Emma, offered her a ride to campus. I interrupted their conversation.

"I can give her a ride to her dorm," I say, still holding Jo on my lap. Emma hesitates,

"No.. I don't want to disturb you. I can go back on my own. It's really not a problem," she says, looking at me and the officer.

"Emma, please, it's the least I can do," I retort.

"Do you two know each other?" the officer asks. Both of us say yes at the same time, which makes me smile.

"Okay.. Since you two know each other, I'm counting on you to get her home safe," the officer says, pointing at me.

"Yes, sir." I say this as I get up from the ground. I carry Jo in my arms now, and I wait for Emma to grab her things and lock up the studio. She takes her bag and closes up the studio as I wait for her.

"All done?" I ask as she makes her way to me. She's wearing blue jeans and a gray oversized hoodie; she looks just as tired as I am. She nods and comes to my side.

"I really can go back on my own," she says on our walk.

"No, I'm not letting you go alone after what happened... Please, Emma," I plead.

"Fine," she says, looking at Joanna again. Once near my car, I struggle to get my keys from my pocket, still carrying Jo in my arms. Emma clearly sees me struggling.

"Can you grab my keys?. They're in my front pockett," I say. She just gives me a nod and comes closer to me.

"The right one?" she asks, looking at my jeans.

"Yes". I immediately regret asking her to do this because I didn't think how close her hand would be to my dick, but I already asked her, and she was now making her way closer to me. She stops for a moment, then brings her hand near my pocket. She reaches in and quickly grabs my keys and unlocks them. The car makes its usual sound and unlocks. I bend down, open the back door, and place Joanna down. She was wiped out. That girl could sleep through a war. I quickly re-arrange myself down there and move out of the car, opening the door for Emma to get in. She got in quickly, and I could see that her cheeks were red. For some reason, Emma refuses to make eye contact with me. I get in the driver's seat and start the car. Once we were on the road, the uncomfortable silence creeped in again.

"So you work at the studio?" My voice slices the tension.

"Yes.. I started about a month ago, managing things at the studio."

"That's great.. You wanted to work with kids, right? Glad it worked out!"

"You remember that?" she asks, looking at me.

"Of course, why wouldn't I?" I respond by looking at her.

"It's just... never mind."

"No.. I can see that you have something on your mind. Get it out, Emma." She mulls for a minute.

"Joanna is your sister, and Don is your dad?" she asks after a few minutes. I let out a sigh.

"Yeah.. Jo's my sister, and he's our father. He left us when Jo was just a year old; it's pretty much been just my mom and us after that."

"Why did you hit him?"

"He shouldn't have spoken in that way with you, and that was before I knew he attacked you. Believe me, if I had known it earlier, I would have done much worsee," I say as I pull over to Emma's dorm. I turn my head and look at her. I could see that she was angry and hurt, but I knew that it could not only be due to what happened with Don.

"Thank you, but I can take care of myself. Please take Joanna home safely. She responds quickly and leaves the car. I also open my door and get out of the car. Emma steps out, looks in my direction, not even making any eye contact, just waves, and makes her way inside the dorms. I was not going to let her leave without talking about us first. I make sure Jo's still asleep, and I run after Emma. I catch up to her quickly.

"You didn't respond to any of my texts or calls, Emma?" I ask. I had to get it out of my chest. She seems surprised that I followed her and momentarily stopped near her dorm entrance door.

"I didn't think you would want to talk to me," she responds, looking elsewhere.

"What? Why would you think that?"

"Nothing. It doesn't matter," she says, turning to head inside. I reach out and hold her hand.

"Come on, Emma. I have no idea what happened; the last time we texted, I asked you to come to my game. After that, you didn't respond to any of my calls or messages!" I say out frustratedly. This time she makes eye contact with me, and I can see her getting teary-eyed.

"I did come to your game.After your game, I came to your locker room to meet you.". As she says this, the realization hits me.

"I saw you kissing her. "Her voice breaks as she says this.

"No, nothing happened, Emma. I swear. She did kiss me, but it meant nothing. She means nothing to me. I like you, not her."

"I can't do this again, Justin."

"No, please. You have to trust me. Nothing happened the other night, and nothing has happened since then. I have been trying to get in touch with you, but you refused to even see any of my messages or calls."

"I don't belong in your world. I am not cut out for that. Maybe it's for the best if we never get to know each other."

"I have no idea what to say to give me another chance, but if you do, I won't make you regret it," I say, defeated.

"I don't know what to do either. I just want to go to bed. Can we talk about this later?" She looks tired. I decide to let her go and not talk about anything more.

"Okay.. Go on in. Good night. I'm sorry about earlier and the locker roomm," I say honestly. She just gives me a nod and heads inside. As I watch her walk away, I realize Emma was right; if I were in her shoes, I wouldn't give me another chance after I royally fucked up the last time, but the selfish part of me hoped she would give me the chance.