6

I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling. Two days had passed since I ran into Changbin, and he still hadn't texted me. I picked up my phone and stared at it, debating whether I should text him first. He was too shy to ask for my number initially, so maybe that was the problem? I opened a new chat with him but couldn't find the right words. Frustrated, I sighed, locked my phone, and placed it on my chest.

Won hadn't texted me all day, even though we were supposed to hang out. That usually meant he wasn't coming over, and honestly? I wasn't even mad. His behavior towards Changbin two days ago made me like him even less. I bit my lip and unlocked my phone again. "Screw it," I mumbled and dialed Changbin's number, holding my phone to my ear. He picked up after a few rings.

"Hello?" he asked.

"Uh, hey Changbin. It's Asami," I said, my heart pounding.

"Oh... hey," he replied.

"Do you maybe want to hang out today?" I asked, nervousness creeping into my voice.

"Won't your boyfriend get mad?" he asked, a hint of anger in his voice.

"No. I told him we were friends," I answered, silently cursing Won again for his behavior in front of Changbin.

"I don't know if that's a good idea, Asami," he said quietly.

My lips started to tremble. "Why?" I asked softly.

"I don't want to start a fight with him," he replied.

"Well, he doesn't tell me what he's doing, so I don't have to tell him what I'm doing . Do you want to come over?" I asked, now feeling annoyed.

Changbin was silent for a moment. "Fine, but not for long," he finally said.

I smiled immediately. "I'll text you my address."

***

I opened the door and welcomed Changbin into my apartment, smiling brightly. He smiled back, his eyes twinkling.

"Do you want something to drink?" I asked, leading him to the kitchen.

"Water would be nice," Changbin answered, following me. I filled a glass and handed it to him. We both leaned against the counter, a heavy silence filled with unspoken thoughts between us.

"Asami?" Changbin said after a while.

"Yes?" I asked quietly, looking up at him.

"Are you happy with Won?" he asked, his expression sad.

I was taken aback. I hadn't really thought about it. Was I happy? "Why are you asking?" I asked, buying time to think.

"You stopped smiling as soon as he came out," Changbin said. "Is he treating you right?"

I felt exposed. When I compared my time with Changbin in New York to my time with Won, it was a strong difference. Changbin made me feel special in just three days, while Won never managed to do so. He was always criticizing me and never took me seriously. "Yes," I lied.

Changbin looked at me with concern. "You can always tell me if something is wrong," he said gently, taking my hand and squeezing it.

I nodded slightly. "Thanks," I mumbled.

"So... how long have you been dating him?" he asked, not sounding particularly interested.

"A bit longer than three weeks now," I answered, filling myself a glass of water. Changbin nodded slightly, and silence settled between us again.

"Just... be careful, okay?" he said quietly.

I looked up at him, our eyes meeting. I felt butterflies in my stomach—something I never felt with Won. "Okay," I mumbled.

Changbin's presence was comforting, a stark contrast to the confusion and frustration I felt with Won. We chatted more, the conversation flowing easily, just like it had in New York. Eventually, we moved to the living room and sat on the couch. The more we talked, the more I realized how much I had missed him.

"Do you remember our last night in New York?" Changbin asked, a wistful smile playing on his lips.

"Of course," I said, smiling back. "It was unforgettable."

"I regret not asking for your number sooner," he admitted. "I thought about you a lot."

"I thought about you too," I confessed. "I just... didn't know how to reach out."

He reached out and touched my hand. "I'm glad you called today."

A comfortable silence settled between us again, the kind that felt full of promise. My phone buzzed with a message from Won, but I ignored it. Right now, all that mattered was this moment with Changbin.

Hours passed without us noticing, the sky outside darkening. Eventually, Changbin looked at the time. "I should probably go," he said reluctantly.

"Do you have to?" I asked, not ready for the evening to end.

He hesitated. "I don't want to cause any trouble."

"You're not causing any trouble," I assured him. "Stay a little longer?"

Changbin smiled, settling back into the couch. "Okay, just a little longer."

We talked late into the night, laughter and memories filling the room. For the first time in a while, I felt genuinely happy. As the night wore on, I realized something important: I needed to be with someone who made me feel this way—happy, understood, and valued. And that someone wasn't Won.

As Changbin finally left, we exchanged a promise to see each other again soon. Closing the door behind him, I felt a sense of clarity. I needed to end things with Won. It wasn't fair to either of us to stay in a relationship that wasn't right.