Prologue

A/N: This is an alternate timeline, so events won't match up with the main books.

***

The giggling girls were not lost on Gabe or Rile, causing them to exchange knowing glances. Rile was the first to react, casually draping his arm around Gabe's oldest son's shoulder.

"Gideon, my boy, let your Uncle Rile educate you on all things female..." His voice trailed off as he maneuvered Gideon away from the rest of the group.

Zeta watched with amusement as her husband squirmed in discomfort. She couldn't help but smile as she wrapped her arm around his waist.

"Don't worry," she reassured him. "This is Alex's version of Rile. You have nothing to fear from what he may teach our son, unlike the pre-Alex Rile." Her words were met with a warm, genuine laugh from Gabe, who relaxed at her touch.

As the sun began to set, Rile and Gideon returned from their excursion. Gideon's face was a mix of surprise and awe, having just spent quality time with his Guardian uncle, a privilege coveted by his brothers and cousins. The envy in their eyes was palpable.

Gabe, Rile's brother, noticed Gideon's expression and gave him a nod of approval. "I have another son from that same clutch," he said, hinting at the depth of his approval for their one-on-one conversation.

Gideon sat down next to the fire, obviously still processing all that had been said.

"Sure. But before we get into it, let's eat dinner first," Rile suggested.

The mention of females made Rafe visibly cringe. "Ugh, I don't want to talk about girls," he declared with disdain. "I want you to teach me how to hunt and use a sword and knife fight." His eagerness was evident as he rattled off the things he wanted to learn from his uncle.