CH 14 Pool Party

Salem Alex's eyes widened in surprise as she entered her chambers, finding not only her own harem but also Sca's harem gathered there. The scent of incense and perfume permeated the air as they lounged on cushions and pillows. "What are you doing here? I really did emancipate you all."

Kir said with a smile, "And miss the victory bath? Not us! Besides, you must spend at least one night with Sca's harem to make them yours before you emancipate them."

Before Salem Alex could respond, eager hands pulled her into the bathing chamber. The warm water enveloped her body as many hands massaged and pampered her.

"Do you want to come in?" Salem Alex asked Rile, who was watching the scene, face inscrutable. "The more the merrier. It's more like a pool party than anything intimate." She used the kindest tone she ever had used with Rile.

"No...no, I just can't." Rile left the bathing chamber and sat heavily down on the giant bed. In another lifetime, he had bounced back on this mattress, teasing Alex. But she was dead, and he was alone.

"Rile?"

Cale's voice startled Rile out of his thoughts. He looked up to see Cale's familiar face, but was taken aback by the intensity of his hug.

"What's wrong?" Rile asked, concern filling his voice as he felt Cale's ragged breathing against his shoulder. "Is it Gabe? Or Zeta? Or Seba? Or the children? Are they okay? Tell me!" His mind raced with worst-case scenarios.

Cale shook his head and slowly controlled his breathing. At length he let him go. "Sorry." He exhaled slowly. "I'm not your Cale. My brother Rile was murdered."

Rile's heart sank at the news, but he couldn't help feeling a sense of relief that it wasn't Cale or Gabe who had fallen victim. "At least it wasn't you or Gabe. I'm the most expendable," he said with a shrug.

"Rile! What an awful thing to say!"

"Ah, it's just like me," Rile replied with a sad smile. "Besides, you know it's true. You and Gabe are the foundations of our clan. I'm just some playboy..." He trailed off, feeling the weight of his own insignificance.

"Stop it!" Cale shook him. "Gabe is breaking down in guilt and I can't stop him and I miss you so much. I don't know what to do. But the Portal Guardian said he was sending me for someone called Alex." His voice cracked on the last words.

Rile patted Cale's hands on his shoulder. "You don't know Alex?" Rile asked.

Rile suspected he knew part of the Portal Guardian's plan. He doubted Selam Alex's ability to heal his counterpart brothers, but she certainly would keep them busy. And make up for the lack of sarcasm from his own counterpart's death. "Let me fill you in on your assignment. This Alex..."

"This Alex? So not your Alex?" Cale scrutinized him.

Rile's voice trembled with anger as he spoke. "Morgan killed my Alex. Murdered her without mercy."

"Morgan?" Cale's hands tightened on Rile's shoulders and rage flared in his usually calm brown eyes. "He murdered my brother! But the Portal Guardian won't let us go after him. I thought this Alex was to complete our team so we could execute him."

"No! Never let him near her!"

Cale raised his eye-ridges. "Her? Alex is a female?"

"Let me show you." Rile took him to the bathing chamber.

Cale stared at the mass of wet bodies, splashing and laughing. "Which one is Alex?"