CH 10

SelamAlex wasn't even breathing hard when the Anolis female surrendered the duel. This Alex was suspicious at the ease of it all, but she took her newly won male back to her quarters, anyway. Her own harem surrounded the newcomer and Selam Alex sat back to enjoy the show of them welcoming the new male.

The chamber was a lavishly decorated haven, with rich tapestries hanging from the walls and plush cushions scattered across the floor. The scent of fresh bread filled the air and flowers spilled over pots, creating an atmosphere of serene luxury.

"What does she want from me?" he whispered, his voice trembling with nervousness as his gaze darted around the room.

"That's the best part. Nothing," replied Kir, the lead male, with a reassuring smile.

"Hey! Massages are mandatory," Selam Alex grinned, her eyes sparkling.

Her favorite part was hearing all her boys sing praises about her to the newcomer. Cas smiled shyly at her and touched her shoulder gently, sending a warm shiver down her spine. In response, Selam Alex fluffed her hair out of its braid, allowing it to cascade in soft waves. Soon enough, Cas was tenderly rubbing her scalp, his fingers working magic against her skin.

"Watch closely," she teased the newcomer. "What's your name?"

"Hem," he stammered, rubbing his hands up and down his arms obsessively.

"It's okay, Hem. I have enough volunteers for massages that you can have the night off," Alex soothed. "You can rest, eat, and sleep."

He nodded and rubbed his arms again. Kir's expression shifted to one of concern as he approached Hem. As the most medically inclined of them all, Kir had developed a keen sense for detecting distress in others—a skill Selam Alex intended to nurture by making the healer take Kir on as an apprentice.

"He's too cold, mistress," Kir observed with furrowed eye-ridges.

Selam Alex snapped her fingers and commanded, "Fetch the healer immediately."

Selam Alex trained the healer to respond quickly when summoned by becoming a nuisance if he didn't. She would find him herself and dog his steps until he came to the harem. She demanded that every scratch and bump on her males be treated without delay. Her quarters were stocked with a dozen jars of oils and creams, specifically for their care.

As they waited for the healer's arrival, Selam Alex attended Hem with an intensity that conveyed both command and compassion. The warmth in the room seemed to grow stronger, as if reflecting her unwavering dedication to those under her protection.

Rile quietly trailed behind the healer, his steps careful to not make a sound on the smooth stone floors. It was rare for him to follow the healer on nights when Selam Alex had a new mate, which seemed to be every night lately. But something about this particular patient had caught Rile's attention, and he couldn't resist the urge to see what was happening.

Selam Alex didn't seem to notice him as she focused intently over the healer's shoulder, her brow furrowed in concentration. Despite his protests for space, Selam Alex always ignored them and hovered over him while he examined her newly won mates.

As the healer declared it was poison, all eyes turned towards the harem for answers. They began discussing different poisons while Selam Alex stalked to the far end of the room, cursing under her breath. In every scenario, Hem was doomed.

Rile strolled over to her.

"Poison!" she fumed. "Of all the dirty, low..."

"Evil?" Rile supplied.

"I was going to say weak and cowardly," Selam Alex replied with a huff, placing her hands on her hips in frustration. "If you're going to kill someone, at least have the courage to do it yourself."

Rile raised an eye-ridge at her words before carefully asking, "So poisoning someone is...wrong?"

Rile tried to modulate his goading. He wanted Selam Alex to come over to his way of thinking. Not for the first time, he wished Cale were here. He was the theologian, the persuader, not him.

"Stop talking and start helping me find his mate. She'll find an antidote as I remove each of her fingers."

Rile shrugged, his expression skeptical. "I highly doubt she's still within our territory. She probably fled deep into Anolis territory where even the Kuni couldn't track her down."

Selam Alex's eyes glinted with determination. "There's nowhere on this planet she can hide from me."

Rile gestured towards the dying Anolis male. "That doesn't help him now. Can you save him?"

Ignoring Rile, Alex leaned over the healer's shoulder and demanded, "Give him the cure. I don't care what it costs, I can pay. I made quite a bit of money betting against myself on my challenges."

The healer met her gaze calmly. "There is no cure. This was all a message for you from the Anolis warrior females."

***

A/N Well, how's the 'new' Alex coming along?

Thanks to

IanReeve216

who wondered where Alex got her money