CHAPTER FOURTEEN.

THE TEAM spent their morning reviewing film, watching all of UCLA's games this season to get a better understanding of their strategy and players.

Jenessa nervously played with her hair, which was pulled back into a ponytail, parted into four dutch braids on her scalp. "You okay?" Nika softly spoke as she sat down next to the brunette on the bench.

"Got a lot on my mind." JJ sighed and leaned back into her chair, her eyes wandering around the gym. Their game started in 5 minutes and she could not get her head in the game.

"If you don't put whatever's going on away, Geno's going to bench you. And you're the glue on that court JJ, we cant do it without you." The Croatian girl said with a tight lipped smile, a reassuring hand placed on her shoulder. "I know, I'm trying." Jenessa nodded, and Geno called them all into a huddle.

"Alright girls, this is going to be a tough game. But I know you can pull through, you're strong, determined, and the team to beat. Don't let them." Geno's pep talks always sent chills down the team's spines, he had a way with words to get them hyped up. "Paige, Aaliyah, KK, Nika- and.. Aubrey, you're starting. Get out there." They all responded with curt nods then jogged onto the court.

Jenessa felt her heart sink, she'd started in every game so far in their season, and after a rough warmup full of missed shots, fumbling passes and overall just not her best, Geno benched her.

Her and the rest of the girls cheered, anticipation bubbling as Aaliyah and Betts got into position for the tip off. UCLA getting the ball, her eyes following the ball with laser focus.

Nika trips over another players foot, but quickly KK and Aaliyah help her up, making a warm smile form on Jenessas face, she loved her team, and how supportive they all were of each other. An immediate feeling of FOMO causing her to get antsy, squirming around in her chair.

UCLA eventually score the first points, a solid 3 causing both benches to get riled up, Jenessa stands up in frustration after watching the score rack up to a 10-0 lead for UCLA. "It's gonna be fine JJ, it's only the first quarter." Azzi grabs her wrist, pulling her back into her seat.

"They are falling apart out there, already. God, we need some points on that board." She nervously rants. "Best we can right now do is cheer them on, I know how you're feeling, trust me. I freak every time i'm on this bench while you guys are playing, but I learned to trust yall. Have faith, cheer them on, and I'm sure you'll get minutes soon." Azzi smiled, empathy radiating off of her, Jenessa's expression softened as she realized everyone's feeling the same way she is.