CHAPTER SIXTEEN.

TWO WEEKS had gone by, and Jenessa still wasn't  cleared to play. Her days were spent sitting on the bench at practice, her head in the clouds during class, and her life felt almost empty again. 

Her injury brought back rotten memories from the year before, when she was constantly on the sidelines, everyone watching her with sad eyes, pitiful eyes. The brunette hated pity, it made her feel small and useless. Just like when her sister passed away when Jenessa was seven, family, friends, coaches and teachers treated her like she was fragile for years after that. And as a girl who was always visibly shorter than her teammates, being seen as fragile only pushed her to work harder.

However, with her current injury, working harder wasn't much of an option. She could only train her legs, better than the previous year when she couldn't even stand, but still gut-wrenching. The only spark in Jenessa's life at the moment was Paige, except the blonde treated her the same way as everyone else, but JJ had found herself a loophole. Paige had no other care in the world when the brunette was underneath her.

Jenessa felt wrong about the whole situation, Paige wasn't really aware of the fact that this was just a fling to the brunette, more of a mutualistic relationship; Paige got sexual relief and JJ felt free, real, and not like a waste of space on their bench.

"Are you being deadass?" Nika gasped, her jaw hung low. Paige laughed and nodded, the two were in Nika and Ines's dorm, playing Fortnite when Paige could no longer keep her mouth shut and had to drop the bomb. "You and Nessa have been hooking up, like- for real." She continued. "Yes, we have. I wouldn't call it a hook up though, I think we're making progress, I love her Nika. I'm thinking of asking her out on a date." Paige smiled, Nika could tell the blonde was absolutely infatuated with Jenessa, and glowing.

"Have you two, you know... Talked?" The Croatian girl cringed as the words left her mouth, afraid of diminishing her best friend's mood. "About what?" Paige tilted her head in confusion. "About your past P, all the shit that went down. Going into a relationship without clearing up your issues will only provide more in the future." Nika gave her a tight-lipped smile, leaning into the back of the couch as she did so. Paige lowered her head, taking a moment to process her words.

"No, we haven't. I don't know if I can, every time I think about what I did to her my throat closes up and I feel like I can't breathe." The blonde sighed as she ran a hand through her messy hair. "Maybe we can brainstorm some shit?" Nika suggested, Paige perked up with a smile. "Yes, please. You're the best Nika."

Later that day at practice, Jenessa noticed Paige kept sneaking glances at her as she stretched off to the side on the ground. Smirking to herself, her mind playing all kinds of fantasies the two could get up to that night. It seemed Paige was the only person and thing in the whole world that could get Nessa's mind off of basketball and her inner monologue.

She finally snapped out of her trance as Geno blew his whistle to signal the end of practice, she pulled herself up and off the ground, readjusting her sling as she walked into the locker room."Hey JJ, you checked in with the medics today yeah? How's it going?" Azzi asked, a warm smile on her face. "Eh, alright. They keep giving me exercises to do and telling me 'just one more week to be safe' Like cmon, clear me already." She rolled her eyes and sat on the bench next to Paige and Nika. "Don't worry about it girl, you need to take your time to recover and heal properly. There's a reason this is a team sport, we've got girls who are filling in for you until you're ready." Azzi wrapped her arms around Jenessa's neck and squeezed tight. Jenessa mentally fought herself so she didn't snap on the poor girl and instead used her good arm to squeeze back.

"You ready to go?" Paige asked as she stood up and swung her bag over her shoulder. "Yup!" Jenessa popped up and giddily walked out of the room, Paige chuckling to herself at the girl's antics as she followed behind.

The drive back was quick, Jenessa could feel her hormones beginning to rise at the wait, her eyes practically undressing the taller blonde as they walked towards the elevator. Once the door shut, the brunette couldn't hold herself back, immediately clinging to Paige and pressing their lips together. Paige, being caught off guard gasped, giving Jenessa access to slide her tongue in. The blonde let out a groan as the kiss deepened, reluctantly pulling away when the elevator dinged, signaling they were on their floor. Paige's hand found the small of Jenessa's back as they walked to their dorm.

Once inside, JJ dragged her into the blonde's bedroom, throwing off her sling in the process. They both locked lips again once messily sprawled on the bed, but Paige pulled away, leaving Jenessa confused and breathless. "What?" She asked. 

"Listen JJ, I wanna talk before we go any further-" "Further? Paige, I am not doing anal if that's what you're about to suggest." Jenessa cut her off. "What? No, ew. Further as in like, relationship wise. I really like you J, I don't want this to be some fling. But before that, I think we need to talk about our past- why are you looking at me like that?" The blonde looked up and saw Jenessa looking pale as a ghost.

"Paige, I- I'm sorry you got the wrong impression but that's all this is to me. A fling, a distraction." The brunette's words came out quickly and in shambles. "What?" Paige couldn't believe what she had just heard. "I thought you would be cool with that, you always had a new girl over every week. I thought we were just hooking up." Jenessa bit her lip nervously.

"You're different, you've always been different. I have loved you ever since we won the FIBA World Cup! And what? You've just been using me? Playing with me for fun?" Paige's eyebrows were furrowed, Jenessa had never seen the girl so distraught. "I'm sorry, Paige." The brunette looked down and began playing with the tips of her hair.

"That's all you have to say to me? You've been fucking with my head since you transferred here Jayde, was this your plan all along? Get me attached to you again, then throw me away like trash?" Paige spat, rage boiling inside her. "Excuse me? You do realize this is exactly what you did to me right? Yet still haven't apologized? That's the whole reason I thought you would be cool with this, but trying to flip the script is low Bueckers." Jenessa scoffed, tears beginning to blur her vision as she pushed herself off the bed, storming out of the blonde's room.

"You're unbelievable!"

"Could say the same shit about you!"

DENNY'S CORNER

we keep it messy round here