Chapter 12

Amira's POV

I have given up on life once again. I feel numb. Why am I such a problem to everyone? I was sitting alone on my balcony, and my mom's words echoed in my mind. She has been asking me to settle down. I don't even want to get married, but I don't want to break my mom's heart either. If not getting married, at least for her sake, I can see some guys. Maybe my mom is right; I should move on. But I have no expectations from life now. I don't think anyone will understand if I tell them how I am feeling. Once again, I bottled up my emotions and got ready to meet a guy's family today.

One Week Later

Life is so unpredictable and hard. When I see that I am already losing, why bother trying? I met with two families, and neither suited me. Today, one more family is coming. I got ready, though I don't believe in anything anymore. Mom said the guy is good-looking, he's a CEO, loves his family a lot, and the family itself is quite sweet. I ignored her because, at this point, I don't care. I have accepted my fate.

The family arrived. They were sitting in the guest room. I went there with some chai in my hands, not even looking up to see the guy. My mom encouraged me to take the cup of tea, and as I grabbed it, my eyes finally landed on the guy.
My breath caught in my throat, and the cup slipped from my hands, shattering on the floor and scalding my skin

. "Agastya?" I whispered, my voice trembling.
Everyone rushed to me, asking if I was okay. I nodded numbly, saying, "Yes," and hurried to the restroom to put something on my burnt hand.
The next thing I realized, Agastya was behind me.

"I have moved away from you and Yaksh. What do you want?" I demanded, my voice shaking with a mixture of anger and confusion.
Agastya stepped closer, his eyes cold. "I don't care about you," he said bluntly. "I only care about Yaksh. That's why I am here. I can't see him suffer, and that's why I agreed to this marriage."
I stood there, stunned and speechless. He continued, "I will divorce you when Yaksh gets better. If you still want to agree to this, it's up to you."
He waited for me to say something, but instead, I asked, "But you were married to Shanaya." Agastya didn't respond and left the restroom.

I was in complete disbelief. My mom came in and said, "I will be happy if you agree to this family. They are nice people."
I thought a lot about it and finally decided to say yes. In my mind, I resolved, I will make things better now. I will fulfill the promise unsaid and undone. I will ask Agastya for one chance. I deserve that