Chapter 17

Amira's POV
Agastya's birthday is approaching soon, and I can't wait to surprise him. I booked a café just for us, but the difficult part was getting him to come. I thought to ask my sasu mom for help. I explained everything, and she said, "Just plan everything. He will be there."
I asked, "How?"
She replied, "Just don't ask that, but he will be there." I hugged her and said, "You're the best."
Agastya's Birthday
I was so excited to surprise him, hoping at least this would make him smile. I wore a black saree for his birthday because his favorite color is black. I waited eagerly for him to arrive.

 I waited eagerly for him to arrive

[Look for the day]

Agastya Arrives
When Agastya walked in, his face was pure shock. The café was decorated with a huge sign that said, "Happy Birthday, Mr. Arrogant." I walked up to him with a cake, smiling, "Happy birthday, Agastya."

But instead of responding, he turned and walked out. I ran after him, calling, "Stop, Agastya!"

It was a silent road, and the weather had turned bad. As it started to rain, I shouted, "Agastya, please, give me a chance to explain!"
Agastya stopped and turned to face me. "A chance? You broke my heart, Amira. You're asking for a chance to justify your actions? I waited for you that day, from morning till night. I was waiting, but you never came. Instead, you changed your number and location. You broke me, Amira Singh."

He started to leave again, but I grabbed his hand, crying, "Just one chance. I will leave your life after this, but listen to me. You think it was easy for me? Not a single day goes by that I don't regret not giving you the explanation you deserved. Please, listen."

Agastya took a few steps back, folding his arms. "Go ahead, tell me. If I deserve to listen, then tell me."
I took a deep breath and began, "In my second year of college..."
My voice trembling. "In my second year of college, my family wasn't financially stable. I was the eldest child, taking care of everyone. When I learned there was a cash prize for a dance competition, I participated because I wanted to use the money for my dad's treatment, it was the same competition when we won, I wanted to each Shanya a lesson but more than that I needed the money. That day, when you asked me to meet, I denied it because I had to take my dad to the hospital for treatment. But you asked if after one week was fine, and I said yes because I thought my dad only needed some injections and we could take him home."

Flashback
I continued, my voice breaking, "I got ready to leave for our date, but suddenly, I received a call from my mom saying my dad's health was critical. I rushed to the hospital, my heart in my throat. My mom was in tears, terrified. I held her as we waited outside the emergency room, the minutes stretching into an eternity."

Tears blurred my vision as I relived the moment. "The doctor came out, his face grim. He told us my dad had suffered a massive heart attack. They tried everything, but... he didn't make it. I felt my world shatter. My phone slipped from my hand and broke as I fell to the floor, screaming in pain and grief."

The rain mingled with my tears as I spoke. "After that day, I fell into a deep depression. Every day was a struggle to get out of bed, to face a world without my dad. The financial difficulties mounted, and we had to sell our house. I lost myself in the depths of my sorrow and guilt, it took me entire year to get better, I stopped talking with everyone, I couldn't face the reality, when I got better and finally decided to use social media, I came across a picture of you and Shanya being engaged, it broke me but I was happy that you didn't wait and moved on because that was best for you"

Present
Agastya stood there, processing everything I had said. The rain continued to pour, drenching us both. I looked at him, my heart aching, "I didn't want to leave you, Agastya. I was broken, lost, sad"

Agastya's expression softened slightly, but he still held himself back.
I smiled through my tears, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders. "Now, I can die in peace knowing that I made myself clear to you. The regret would've killed me, but now I am free from it." I wiped my tears again, standing taller. "I will leave now. I just wanted you to know this. I never had a boyfriend, never got engaged, never got married because I knew there was a guy waiting for answers from me."
I looked at him, memorizing his face, the rain cascading down around us. "Goodbye, Agastya. Take care."