𝚜𝚒𝚡

Annika fiddles with the hem of her long sleeved hoodie as she hesitates

"Bhabhi?" She jumps, turning around to face a curious looking Rudra. "I'm sorry," he smiles sheepishly.

"Rudra," Annika shakes her head, as her fingers twitch. Her heart beats furiously while she tenses and relaxes her fingers, trying to regulate her breathing. "It's alright. You merely startled me," she forces a smile onto her face.

"Why are you standing here?" He frowns. "We're about to have dinner soon."

"I know," Annika nods, glancing at the wall behind which lay the Oberoi family chattering and laughing as spoons clinked against the ceramic bowls.

"Chaliye," Rudra smiled. Nodding slowly, Annika followed Rudra who greeted everyone with a boisterous smile, "Hello everyone. Your favourite person is here!" He extends his arms on both sides, flashing a smile, which Annika assumes he wishes to convey 'his charm'.

"You're not SRK," Priyanka deadpans, returning to eating her dinner.

Rudra frowns, walking over to her and slapping the back of her head. "I'll have you know, I'm much more handsome."

Priyanka snorts, "Sure."

Annika's eyes dart around as she attempts to spot Shivaay, only for her face to fall as she realised he still hasn't returned from the land inspection site he'd driven to, a few hours ago, when his team required his attention urgently.

"Shivaay will be back soon," Pinky comments, with a teasing grin. "Sit down, kiddo."

"Oh," Annika flusters, "I wasn't——"

"It's alright, Annika," Jahnvi laughs. "Hota hain, hota hain."

"Hone dijiye, Bhabhi," Rudra adds.

"Hello," a cheerful feminine voice greets them, and Annika turns around to face a sweet looking girl with shoulder length curls. "Annika Bhabhi!" The girl rushes forward, as Annika nearly stumbles from the force of the hug. "Sorry," the younger woman leans back, a bright smile on her face. "It's just, I've missed you."

"Oh, that's fine," Annika nods. "I-I'm sorry," she smiles with a quizzical frown. "I don't really remember you."

"Oh, right," the woman sighs, nodding her head. "Amnesia sucks." Annika doesn't know what to say, so she chooses to stay silent, "I'm Saumya."

"Oh," Annika smiles. "It's nice meeting you," as a corner of Saumya's lips quirked upwards, she adds, "Again." Saumya grins. "Where's Karthik?" Saumya's grin disappears as she gapes, glancing at Rudra with wide eyes. Annika watches the interaction with curiosity and annoyance—— will the two stop speaking in code?

"Why are you asking about Karthik, Bhabhi?" Rudra asks in a hesitant tone.

"Well you said that Saumya went to drop someone named Karthik at Shagun's place," Annika shrugs. "Is Karthik your brother?" She turns to Saumya who shakes her head slowly.