7

2 weeks later

“Mi, there's someone who wants to meet you.” Eomma said to me.

“Okay, eomma.” I replied and took a break from arranging the work files.

“Who is it?” I asked her while making my way to the doorstep.

“I don't know, he doesn't look familiar either.” She shrugged as she went into the kitchen. “I'm going to make some tea for you two, okay?”

“Hm.”

“Hello, I'm reporter Jeongguk from MBC news channel.” I was baffled by his sudden robotic introduction.

“Um, hello. What can I do for you?” I politely asked him.

“Can you invite me inside? It's kinda cold outside.” Jeongguk said, smiling sheepishly.

“Yeah, sure.” I simply said as moved aside for him to walk.

“I'm sorry if I sound really blunt or rude, but I'm here to talk about your late boyfriend.” He said as soon as we sat down on separate couch across each other.

“What about him?” I asked in a low tone. My heart still hurts at the thought of him, his smile, his scent, his warm hug, his everything.

“The accident. Can you tell me what you know about it?” He asked me instead.

“I was in Japan for one week for a business meeting and that's when, he...” I paused.

“I know it's hard, Miss Lee.” He passed me a sympathetic look.

“Eomma, Taehyung's mother, was going to take his funeral without me knowing but I took an early flight and heard the tragedy.” I bit my lips, feeling bitter about how she was going to hide his death from me, and then what? Was she going to lie that he disappeared out of nowhere?

“The accident happened when he was going home at a bridge late night and his car got hit by a truck. Due to the force, the car got pushed into the railings and he fell into the lake. Unfortunately, he didn't know swimming, and– and he died due to drowning.” I choke at the mention of his painful death. If only I had actually helped him to learn swimming instead of saying I had work.

“Was the truck driver caught?” I nodded my head.

“Yes, he was the one who immediately called the police when he saw he caused an accident but they took too long to rescue him..” I silently sighed.

“Was there another victim in this accident?”

“No.”

“Miss Lee, there was another person who was with your boyfriend in that car. I see you're still unaware of this..” He said, and I could feel his pity for me.