"I do not wish to live my life by a contract."

"Miss Hampton?" A voice from outside my door said. I set my glass back down on the saucer. "There's mail"
    "Come in Charlotte" I sighed. I had wished for nothing more than time to be alone.
    Charlotte came in, closing the door behind her. "There are around twenty men outside our home right now. They have come to call upon you I reckon."
    Good God. "Can you fetch Mama before I step out of my room?" I asked. I had gotten two letters, one addressed to me from the Bridgertons? And one from Penelope Featherington? That's strange, I hadn't spoken to her in years.

    "Oh my goodness, Did you see all the fine gentlemen? I'm sure this season will not be as hard as you previously thought my dear."
    "Wonderful" I said, rolling my eyes.
    "Quit that!" Mama scolded.  "How many more are there Charlotte?"
    "One." Charlotte said, opening the door and letting in Anthony Bridgerton, with a bouquet of flowers. Good God.
    "Good Morning Lady Hampton" Anthony said, flashing a smile.
    "I'll have you know it is the afternoon" I responded curtly. I sucked in a breath as Mama elbowed me in the ribs. "Good Afternoon Lord Bridgerton" I said through clenched teeth and a fake smile.
    "Would you mind if I were to sit down?" Anthony asked.
    "Perha-" There's another elbow to the hip this time. "No not at all, Charlotte would please get Lord Bridgerton some tea?"
    "That would be most wonderful." He said smiling.
    "What are you doing here Lord Bridgerton?" I asked, pursing my lips slightly.
    "I came to see you, obviously. Did you get the invitation my mother sent out? For tea this Wednesday?" He said, taking a sip of his tea. Even the way he drank his tea infuriated me.
    "Tea? This Wednesday? As in tomorrow?" Mama exclaimed. "Why Sarafina we must get you to the modiste"
    "I do not need another dress Mama" I insisted.
    "Oh, Lord Bridgerton, thank you so, for telling me of this letter. Had it been left to my diamond, she would've never mentioned it" Mama said, sending me a glare disguised as a sweet, sweet smile.
    "Ah, yes thank you Lord Bridgerton" I said, standing up and gesturing towards the door. "Well, I suppose if I'm needed at the modiste then you must go" I smiled.
    "Well then, Miss Hampton. I suppose I'll see you tomorrow." He reached for my hand. I set them behind my back.
    "Goodbye then Lord Bridgerton" I said.

    "Madame Delacroix, I rather think that a violet purple may fit me more than white don't you think? I am not to marry yet." I chuckled.
    "Ah I suppose" She said, reaching for a beautiful purple fabric. "Would this be adequate?"
    "Yes" I sighed, rubbing my hand across the beautiful fabric, it was smooth and lacy all at the same time. "It truly is beautiful"

    "Excuse me? Miss Hampton?"
    I cleared my throat and looked up from my glass of now cold tea to find Miss Bridgerton talking to me. "Yes?"
    "Lady Bridgerton was just asking you what you wished to see in a husband, Sarafina. Now pick up your head and stop acting like you care about the tea"
"My apologies Lady Bridgerton" I said.
"Ah, Miss Hampton I hadn't known if you would accept my invitation" Colin said as he walked into the drawing room.
"I hadn't known" I smiled. "This tea is rather delicious" I said, trying to change the subject.
Anthony cleared his throat and set his saucer down. He sat back and crossed his arms. "So, Miss Hampton, what do you wish to see in a husband?"
"I seek a respectful, loyal, kind husband. I'm to be the next duchess of Hampton, I need a husband who will respect me both as a duchess and a wife. A man who will be kind to my children and I is a necessity" I said, also setting my saucer down. No one makes tea like Charlotte.
"So you will maintain your titles when you marry?" Violet asked.
"Yes, we have gotten it figured out with Mr. Dundas. He is in charge of making sure the necessary successions are in order." I smiled.
"I also wish to have a husband who loves me and my children."
"Sarafina, we talk-" Mama warned.
"A marriage for love?" Anthony said, raising his brow.
"Yes Lord Bridgerton, for a marriage without love is no marriage at all, it is merely a contract." I said curtly. "I do not wish to live my life by a contract."

-authors note-
Sooooo, what are we thinking? How are we feeling about Miss Hamptons inner monologue?-
With love 💕
Slythtpsq0c!!!