Chapter 1 MP3

The school bell rang, signalling the end of the day. Automatically, Hae-in began to gather her things, including the paper bag that she left untouched all afternoon as she headed towards the door. That was until Mr Jin, her form teacher, called her to his desk.

"Hae-in ah, may I talk to you for a moment?" Mr Jin beckoned her over.

Despite her slight apprehension, Hae-in squared her shoulders and approached Mr Jin's desk, her grip tightening on her bag straps. "Ne, Seonsaengnim?" she asked politely, her voice neutral and her face an indifferent mask.

Mr Jin, their high school maths teacher and undeniably one of the school's most attractive faculty members, met her gaze with a seriousness that creased his brow as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "Hae-in ah," he began candidly, "I wanted to check in on you."

Despite his aloof demeanour and infrequent smiles, Mr Jin, Seo-won by name, possessed a surprising wealth of empathy for his students

Despite his aloof demeanour and infrequent smiles, Mr Jin, Seo-won by name, possessed a surprising wealth of empathy for his students. As prim and proper as he was, he was known to be a big softie beneath his stern exterior, a fact that his wife, Mrs Han Hae-na, the school's bubbly Korean language teacher knew well.

Speaking of Mrs Han, she was currently engaged in a similar conversation with a student of her own – the new transfer, Baek Hyun Woo – a duty that came with being the form teacher for class 3A. Her short, orange brunette hair framed her face as she spoke, her puppy-like friendliness a sharp contrast to her husband's sternness. Despite her bubbly nature, everyone knew better than to cross Mrs Han, for she had quite a temper too.

"Hyun Woo-ah, do you know why I asked you to stay? " Mrs Han inquired kindly after dismissing the rest of the class

"For the first-day check-in?" Hyun Woo returned, tilting his head slightly.

"Maja," Mrs Han chuckled, "I wanted to check how you found your first day. I understand transferring schools mid-semester can be quite tough."

"Well..." Hyun Woo scratched his head, a sheepish grin breaking out on his face. "It has been overwhelming, but the students here have been very welcoming."