Chapter 14 Missing

Where is he?!

Hae-in paced frantically through the cafeteria, her eyes scanning the crowd for a familiar head of hair. She had received Baek Hyun Woo's usual morning surprise – the Gimbap in a brown paper bag – but twenty minutes into recess, he was still nowhere to be found. With no texts from the senior, Baek Hyun Woo's absence was sending alarm bells ringing in Hae-in's head. It didn't help that she had been hyper-aware of her surroundings ever since that terrifying incident at the pool.

She feared for his safety right now.

She was worried that her bullies had gotten to Baek Hyun Woo somehow.

It didn't help that Pil-sook was preoccupied with a major project for Hanil's Music Club over the break. She was sure that having Pil-sook by her side right now would help ground her. After all, Pil-sook, though timid, had an uncanny ability to balance Hae-in's fiery spirit. Without her, Hae-in found herself spiralling.

At some point, Hae-in wondered if he was deliberately avoiding her after confessing to her last evening.

Was he regretting it?

She wouldn't be surprised...

Who would want to be associated with the Ice Queen of Hanil anyway?

All her thoughts flew right out of the window when she finally spotted some familiar faces amongst the crowd. Yet, her hopes were dashed when she realised Baek Hyun Woo wasn't with Yang-gi and Dal-po.

Regardless, Hae-in found herself rushing over to them, her voice laced with urgency. "Sunbaenims!" she exclaimed.

Yang-gi, ever the friendly one, greeted her with a wide smile. "Oh, Hong Hae-in ssi," he began, throwing her a charming wink, "want some tteokbokki? We're next in line."

Ignoring his offer, Hae-in cut straight to the point. "Where's Baek Hyun Woo?" she asked, her voice firm.

Yang-gi's smile faltered slightly as he exchanged a glance with Dal-po. "Oh, didn't he tell you? He didn't come to school today," he replied, his voice filled with sympathy. "He's sick."

Sick?

Sick?!

Was she even surprised that he was sick?

After all, he hadn't dried off properly after rescuing her from the pool and she remembered the night being particularly chilly too. It would explain his incessant sneezing yesterday, a clear sign that he had already succumbed to the unforgiving flu. Yet, he still chose to run in the rain after sacrificing his umbrella for her.

Baek Hyun Woo wasn't Superman. It was natural that he would fall sick.

And now, a day after his confession, he was absent. 

Fate, it seemed, had a cruel sense of humour.

But why didn't he tell her?

A pang of guilt washed over Hae-in. She should have insisted he rest earlier. She should have insisted he took his umbrella with him.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Why do you always hurt those around you?

In conclusion, Hong Hae-in felt responsible for what happened to Baek Hyun Woo.

Then, a bigger question arose.

If Baek Hyun Woo is absent from school, how did the Gimbap appear on her desk?

Lost in her thoughts, Hae-in didn't notice Dal-po's growing discomfort as he shifted behind Yang-gi, avoiding her gaze. The truth was, Dal-po was the one behind the Gimbap delivery that morning – acting on Hyun Woo's specific instructions, of course.