Chapter 21 Ice Queen

"Hae-in ah, I don't mean to intrude but...I'm asking as a concerned friend," Pil-sook finally decided to broach the topic on everyone's mind one fine, normal afternoon at Hanil High.

However, nothing had felt normal to the two high schoolers in days, for their days had taken on a different atmosphere since the night Hae-in and Hyun Woo fought.

Since then, a cloud of gloom hung over the group, and Hae-in's interactions with Hyun Woo had become noticeably strained.

"Did something happen with you and Baek Hyun Woo sunbaenim?"

"What are you talking about, Pil-sook," Hae-in muttered coldly, her face taut with tension.

"It's just...you've been avoiding him," Pil-sook pointed out gently. "And you're ignoring him now too."

The smaller girl tilted her chin in the direction of her best friend's phone which has been buzzing ceaselessly for the past few minutes since they sat down for lunch.

On the flashing screen was an incoming call from none other than the star athlete of their swim team.

Hae-in remained tight-lipped about the situation as she scowled at her phone. Then before she knew it, she had slammed her pen down on the table and reached over to mute the call notification

The call ended and all was calm again in Hae-in's world – or so she would claim.

Hyun Woo didn't call back and her phone stayed silent, almost unnervingly.

Three days had passed since their "fight", with the heiress giving her boyfriend the cold shoulder. 

Despite that, Hyun Woo was still religiously delivering Gimbaps to her every morning, though she refused to take a bite out of them or read the notes often attached to the paper bags. The notes were growing longer each day, but in her fit of anger, she would always crumple them without another glance and toss them into the corner of her desk. Naturally, the Gimbaps went to Pil-sook instead.

Hyun Woo had tried to talk to her along the corridors outside their respective classrooms multiple times, only for Hae-in to dodge him with some flimsy excuse each time.

During recess, he always left a spot for her beside him, but she avoided it like a plague, either fleeing to the library or sitting beside Yang-gi. Whenever she did join the group, her earphones were always plugged in and kept her nose buried in her textbooks in her valiant attempt to ignore the puppy-like pouts the senior was casting in her direction. Still, she couldn't resist sneaking glances at him from behind her book when she thought he wasn't paying attention.

Yesterday, she had accidentally answered one of Hyun Woo's calls, only to hang up the moment she heard his voice.

Being in different classes made it easier for her to ignore the senior, especially since he was busy training for another swimming competition.

Pil-sook and Hae-in were walking side by side now as the bell signalling the end of recess echoed through the halls.

"Did you two call it quits?" Pil-sook asked hesitantly, her voice barely above a whisper.

Hae-in's head snapped up, her eyes widening in protest. "Ani!" she frowned, the denial almost reflexive. "It's not like that...I'm just mad at him. No, scratch that-" she paused, inhaling deeply as if steadying herself. "I'm just...confused."

"