Chapter 34: Tensions at the Exams

~~~~~~~~~~
"You must focus, Fei. There is no point in your water body if you can't transition between it and your physical body." Clair sternly remarked, throwing pebbles at Fei that were sure to leave a mark. Fei winced as some hit her while she attempted to concentrate on shifting between her water form and physical form.

So far, their training has been a success. She had learned two new water styles: (whirlpool and tidal wave: riptide), along with walking on water. She had also learned some ice style jutsu (ice needles and ice floor). All of these helped out in improving her water type while also introducing her to ice styles in connection to her family. And they were pretty fun to learn!

But when it came to switching between the physical and water bodies, nobody could've told her how hard it would be. It was easy at first, but when it came time to use it during a battle, it was complicated.

"I'm trying! But it's a lot harder than you think!!" Fei yelled before dodging another pebble. No matter how hard she tried, it seemed that she could only transform some parts of her body into water during battle. The most she managed to transform was half of her body. It's also starting to become tiresome. She fumbled one final time before falling flat on her butt out of exhaustion, "Alright...I'm done...I can't move anymore."

"Tonight is our final night before you fight. Are you positive you want to stop?" The lady in white asked, her eyes firm but concerned.

"You said it yourself. There's no point in forcing my body into moving if I can't force my mind. Besides, I actually can't move. My body's too wobbly. It's like my nerves forgot what they did, and my muscles turned to spaghetti." Fei grumbled out.

"Then I suppose that's it then." Clair said as she knelt beside Fei.

"I can handle half of the control! It'll help counter direct shots!" Fei stated excitedly before looking at the woman, "Are you going to be there?"

"Of course I will. But I won't be in the crowd." Clair snickered slightly at Fei's disappointment, "Don't worry, I'll find a way to cheer for you somehow."

"Clair, why do you have to remain hidden? If you're part of my family, why can't I just say so. That way we can live together?"

Clair sighed as she gently moved Fei's hair from her face, "I can't do that for several reasons, dear. I would like to explain them to you, but I'm afraid it's not the appropriate time yet."

"Then when will it be time?" Fei begrudgingly shot back. Clair silently observed her before closing her eyes.

"Until you've become emotionally stronger than you are now. And when you do, I will teach you a new technique significant among our clan."

"How will I know I've done that?"

"When you find your sense of purpose." Fei pondered this, confused.

'Of course I have a purpose: defeat Shiro for good and go back home.' She hesitated, 'No, defeat Shiro, find out more about my parents here, then go back home...Wait. I want to explore more of here. And find my clan grounds! And...and...' It had hit her then that she truly didn't have a sense of purpose. She had goals and ambitions, but they were not given, plausible, or even decided on. She was still indecisive, and she had no idea what she would do.

"I suppose you see what I mean now, dear." Clair said as she looked her way.

"Yeah..." Fei exhaled as she held her hands together, "Can I at least hear some more about my fanily?"

"Your father's side or mother's?"

"It's my dad's turn this time. So apart from being water bodied people and healers, what cool stuff did they do?"