Chapter 9

Outside, she was walking and walking down the street, unaware of where she was going and what she was doing. With each step she took forward, droplets of tears were filling her eyes, but she refused to let them flow free. She kept on walking; eventually she reached an isolated lane. She stopped and rested her hand on the walls and finally, she let her tears flow free.

She did all she could do to control her tears and cries but Meera's words kept replaying in her head, piercing through her heart each second. It was all too much for her to process. After a while she made an failed attempt to compose herself ; again she started walking across the street until she found little bench to sit on.

Anamika sat for a few minutes and recollected herself. She gently wiped the tears from her soft cheeks and took a few deep breaths to control any further emotions from pouring out. The tears were controlled, but the emotions instantly took a U-turn as soon as memories of the past hour flicked through her mind. It was only rage and anger. Anger at that cunning woman but mostly anger towards herself.

'How did I just stand there and listen to her? How could I just let my guard down? How could I be such a fool?' She said in frustration with herself.

She was instantly pulled out of her thoughts by the sound of thunder which came across the night sky like a wave of electric light.

Anamika quickly pulled out her phone to call a cab. Meanwhile the pitter patter of rain hitting across her body, it was beginning to get intense and powerful. There was no shelter to stand so she just sat there on the bench with her arms wrapped around her fragile body.

Just a few minutes later, the taxi had arrived and Anamika instantly got in the car in attempt to escape the cold surroundings around her. As soon as she got in the car, the rain began to pour heavily.

Cabdriver: "just in time ma'am" he said referring to the intensity of rain.

But Anamika was too occupied with her thoughts to hear what he said.

Cab-driver: "Uhh, so where to ma'am?"

No response. Anamika was stuck in a cycle of pain to anger, anger to pain.

Cabdriver "Ma'am? Ma'am?!!

Anamika snapped out of her thoughts: "Huh"

Cabdriver: "I was asking where you would like to go ma'am"

Anamika was completely lost for a moment. She didn't know where to go. She was sure about one thing though. She was NOT going to go home in this state.

Anamika: I....ummm...I don't know" she whispered to herself.

Cabdriver: "sorry ma'am I can't hear well amidst this noisy rainfall"

Anamika: "just shut up and drive for God's sake!"

The cabdriver backed up in shock. Anamika was sounding very harsh. But the cabdriver could sense something was off.

Cabdriver: "ahhh ok sure, sure ma'am."

Anamika noticed the tone of her voice seconds after they words came out of her mouth

Anamika: "I-I'm so sorry" I'm just-". The cabdriver smiled empathetically.

Cab-driver- "it's fine ma'am we all have those kind of days. It only takes a few drinks to unwind us again" he laughed.

And then it clicked. As soon as the heard the word "drinks"

Anamika: "can you take me to The Lux Club at Tardeo."

Cabdriver: "sure ma'am" and they were off.

The clock struck 10:15 pm when the cab stopped in front of the Lux Club; the rain still pouring heavily- it seemed like there was no stopping today.