Chapter 13

On call with Rohan

Anamika- "H-hello?" she whispered with a slight tremble in her voice

Rohan: "Anamika!" It's me Rohan

Anamika: "Hi Rohan" she whispered

Rohan: Why weren't you attending my calls ?! I was so worried for you. These past couple of days I have been so restless and stressed, going to the club every day, driving around the roads- I thought something...." he paused and didn't have the courage to finish off his sentence. The slightest thought of something happening to Anamika frightened him.

Anamika- "I'm so sorry I..I didn't know that it was you calling. I hadn't saved your name to my contacts" she lied. Rohan could tell from her voice she was lying but didn't point it out.

Rohan- "But are you ok? Where are you?"

Anamika- "I'm completely fine Rohan. I'm at home don't worry.

Rohan shut his eyes in relief. He was waiting days to hear those words from Anamika- 'I'm fine'.

There was a moment of silence over the phone- until Rohan took the opportunity to ask, "Why did you leave that day, without letting me know?" Anamika was lost for words. He had finally asked the question she was afraid to hear.

Anamika- "Uhhh- I need to go now Rohan, I have some work to do" she was about to end the call, but Rohan quickly jumped in to stop her.

Rohan- "Wait, wait, wait! Please give me a second Anamika" She paused.

Rohan: "I can sense through your voice that something is bothering you. Have I done something to upset you? Hmm?" there was no response.

Rohan: "Please Anamika- tell me"

Anamika: "Look I'm really, really sorry Rohan. I am so ashamed. Ashamed of my self- my actions, ashamed of everything that happened that night. I did not have the courage to speak to you after that incident."

Rohan was feeling so awful to hear that Anamika felt like that.

Anamika: "I'm sorry that I made you feel so awkward and I'm sorry that you had to bear me and all my nonsense".

Rohan- "Anamika"- but she quickly interrupted him

Anamika- "Look, I think it's best if I stay away from you. You're a really nice guy Rohan, but I'm not the ideal friend anyone would want. I carry a baggage of problems with me and I would never want my problems to be someone else's problems".

Rohan thought the earth beneath him shattered. The thought of her staying away from him killed him within. He couldn't speak.

Anamika- "thank you for everything. I'm grateful for everything you have done for me in these past few meetings we've had. But I think it's best if our journey ends here". The moment those words escaped from her mouth, she felt as if a strong force was tugging at her heart as if someone or something was forcing her to stop. Deep down, she knew she wanted his company and his comfort. It was feeling she had never felt before. But she knew this was the only right thing to do- for him and for herself.

Anamika- "Goodbye Rohan"-

Rohan- "Anamika... no please don't say this. I don't know what's been going on in your mind, for you to possibly think you are a burden on me. I can't put into words what you and your presence means to me". He wanted to say what he was feeling, right now, right this moment, but he knew it wasn't appropriate over the phone. No- he wanted to say it to her while looking straight into her eyes, holding her hands and conveying every bit of emotion he felt for her.