Chapter 22 : Jun to the Rescue

Minami no Hanashi : Yume - Prelude

The young boy, filled with terror, couldn't utter a word. He was paralyzed.

-(?) Huh? Wha—

Narumi, frozen in confusion, wondered what was happening.

Let's take a step back and observe the scene from Jun's perspective. Jun sped past an alley, then turned around because he thought he saw something surreal. He got out of his car and spotted Narumi on her knees in an alley with a young boy he didn't know. As if that wasn't enough, Narumi clutched her head, writhing in pain, then violently pushed the boy's hand away and screamed in agony again. That was all Jun needed. At that moment, three thoughts crossed his mind: "Who is this jerk?", "I'm going to break his skull," and finally, "If anything happens to Narumi..."

Jun naturally charged at the unidentified boy and began counting down.

-(Jun) One.

Narumi started to worry and, with a trembling voice, spoke to Jun: "Uh J-Jun? Y-you're not really going to do this... right?" Jun completely ignored her.

Mei's brother, terrified, tried to explain.

-(?) Huh? I-I uh— no sir, I— 

-(Jun) Two. 

-(?) Huh? Why can't I speak? Is this how I'm going to die? My existence was just—

-(Jun) Three, you're dead.

Jun lifted the young boy even higher and aimed to slam his head against the sidewalk.

-(Narumi) JUN!!! STOP!! YOU'RE GOING TO KILL HIM!!

Jun, who seemed to only hear the voice in his head, was snapped out of it by Narumi's voice. He stopped at the last moment. Mei's brother's head was just inches from the ground. Still holding him by the collar, Jun asked Narumi, "What's going on?"

Narumi, still in shock but mostly relieved to see the young boy unharmed, replied.

-(Jun) Argh~ I shouldn't have stopped going to the gym. Can't you see I'm busy, Narumi? Wait for me patiently, I'll finish this and then we can talk. 

-(Narumi) ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? YOU WERE ABOUT TO KILL HIM?!

Jun froze and sincerely wondered what he had done wrong in this situation. He couldn't find a suitable answer and eventually exploded.

-(Jun) WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M OUT OF MY MIND??? I JUST SAVED YOU FROM AN ATTACKER AND YOU DON'T EVEN THANK ME? AND IT'S NOT LIKE HE WOULD DIE FROM THIS!

Mei's brother joined the conversation with a trembling voice: "Uh... f-from my point of view, I really thought I was going to die, my head was heading at full speed towards the grou—"

-(Jun) You, shut up. 

-(Narumi) YOU'RE COMPLETELY CRAZY, WE WERE EXCHANGING TEST ANSWERS!

Jun exclaimed with a radiant face: "Of course!" 

... 

Narumi, out of breath, thought this justification would be enough for Jun.

-(Narumi) Phew, luckily he's simple-minded, we avoided the wor—

Jun suddenly shouted while shaking the young boy, who seemed on the verge of vomiting: "THEN EXPLAIN WHY YOU WERE WRITHING IN PAIN??"

-(Narumi) Darn! We're going to get caught! 

-(Narumi) Uh, I-I... Hey, stop shaking him, you're really going to kill him!

Jun stopped and sighed.

-(Jun) I really don't understand why you're defending him—