Chapter 1 : Back to school

Minami no hanashi : Yume - Prelude

An alarm clock started ringing.

*Inhale, exhale*

"What did I dream about last night?"

"Minami, hurry up!"

-(Minami) Alright... let's do this.

On the way to school

Minami, rummaging through her bag and pockets, suddenly stopped.

-(Minami) Oh no... I'm already out of battery... I'll have to make a detour to the convenience store.

Heading to the convenience store

As she walked peacefully, she spotted a dog. It was staring at her while wagging its tail. A staring contest ensued until...

*Woof!*

-(Minami) ...

Minami crossed the street.

Once at the convenience store, inside, there was a grandma with a wrinkled face but a warm smile; she was the guardian of this sanctuary of the past. The shelves were filled with retro treats, boxes of candies with faded colors, and products from a bygone era. The old floor creaked under Minami's steps as she came to get more than just supplies; she came to get her favorite cereal bars, where the grandma's unconditional love for her little konbini was palpable at every moment.

"Ah, Minami, hello."

-(Minami) Hi.

"You're always getting the same thing, I suppose?"

-(Minami) Yeah! But this time, I'll just take one box.

"Oh really? Usually, you take ten times more."

"Yeah, I know, but this time I'm not stocking up. Just enough to get through the day."

"Oh, I see. In that case, it'll be 264 drymats."

On the way to school

While walking, Minami glanced at her phone.

"It starts at... 8:30am. Okay, I still have at least twenty minutes."

She continued her journey while enjoying her favorite cereal bars. It was indeed a pleasant moment for her, finally able to recharge her batteries in peace. However, a disruptive element intruded upon this peaceful moment. She sensed the insistent gaze of a child fixed on her snack, an observation she couldn't ignore. Intrigued, Minami interrupted her snack and locked eyes with the boy, a protective look appearing on her face.

"I want some!" He said with puppy eyes.

Another child ran in their direction.

"Ha! There you are! I've been waiting for you for ten minutes!"

"Oh, sorry, Naoki! I overslept!"

-(Naoki) Oh, no worries, hurry up. And by the way, I want some too!

"Um... who are you talking to?"

-(Naoki) Well... Huh? Where did she go?

In the neighboring alleyway

-(Minami) *munching on her bar* Pick up, pick up, pick up!

"Hello..." He said with an exasperated tone.

-(Minami) Haha, I knew I could count on you, Jun! You know, we've known each other for a long time!