Chapter 31 : A Year That Promises to Be Eventful

Minami no Hanashi : Yume - Adagio

One evening at the Katayama household

As Azumi seemed lost in her favorite TV show, someone knocked at the door. She looked up, surprised by the unexpected interruption. "Hmm? Who could that be?" she wondered aloud.

Azumi got up from the couch, adjusting the blanket around her, and walked to the door. She opened it and saw Jun standing there. "Good evening, Mrs. Katayama!"

"Well, now this is a surprise!" exclaimed Azumi with a smile. "Come in!" she added enthusiastically.

"Oh no, no! Don't worry about it! I'm just here to pick up Minami as planned."

They stared at each other for a moment. Azumi had no idea what Jun was talking about. He quickly realized that Minami hadn't done her duty: informing her mother. Azumi broke the silence. "I'll go get her."

A few moments later

-(Minami) Oops. 

-(Azumi) Oops? That's all you have to say? 

-(Minami) I admit I forgot to tell you and dad. But in my defense, I did send you a message!

"What time?" Azumi asked her suspiciously.

-(Minami) About an hour ago. 

-(Azumi) We're in the same house! 

-(Minami) I was too comfy in my bed to get up!!!

Azumi sighed at the absurdity of her daughter's excuse. "So, what are you planning to do out so late?"

This question snapped Jun out of his silence, and he quickly responded: "Minami insisted on going for a ride in the new car I just got!"

-(Azumi) Oh?? Why so late, Minami? 

-(Minami) Well, I love nighttime drives! And since it's the weekend, and Narumi is sleeping over at a friend's, it's the perfect opportunity to enjoy the city at full speed! 

-(Azumi) Excuse me? 

-(Minami) Well yeah, Narumi gets scared when Jun drives fast. Azumi fixed Jun with an intense gaze and continued: "That's not what I'm talking about, Minami."

Feeling guilty and betrayed by Minami, Jun stayed silent.

-(Minami) Oops.

Azumi thought for a moment. "Your father is still in his office. I don't want to disturb him."

She glanced at Jun and Minami, then said, "Go ahead. And Jun, be careful."

"You can count on me, ma'am!" he replied solemnly.

"Thanks, mom!"

As they were about to leave, Azumi stopped them: "I want to see your new car."

"Of course! It's parked just over there, I'll go get it!" He jogged off to get the car, with Minami skipping after him. Meanwhile, Azumi stepped out onto the porch.

She spoke to herself as she looked toward Shinsuke's office window: "He changed cars and parked a little farther away than usual, that's why we didn't hear him arrive."

A few moments later, Jun returned at the wheel of his sparkling sports car. The body gleamed under the nearby streetlights, reflecting a combination of vivid colors that emphasized its sporty look. The car, low and sleek, seemed ready to leap onto the road. Its aerodynamic lines hinted at its power, and the shining rims added a touch of sophistication. The front headlights pierced through the night, giving the car an almost mystical aura.