Chapter 25: The Test: The Demon

Minami no Hanashi : Yume - Prelude

Sora broke the chaos with these few words. Dai glared at him, Eiji stopped and became wary, remembering Dai's words about Sora: "He's a demon." Eiji felt sorry for Sanae and turned to see her reaction. She smiled and kept looking at Eiji. Seeing her face, he understood that she was trying to ignore Sora's provocation, but he also began to understand Sanae's character. Eiji realized that she was hiding her emotions to show no weakness. This made him angry, and he stared at Sora with a gaze similar to Dai's.

-(Sora) Eiji, right? You're pathetic, but you're aware of it, which is a good start. However... I'm afraid bowing won't be enough to atone for the sins you've committed during this test. He said, laughing.

Eiji remained impassive, just staring at him along with Dai. Sanae still hadn't turned in his direction and remained silent.

-(Sora) Hmm... I see. Well, we'll do it differently. 

-(Sora) You were pathetic, but I don't blame you since it's your first time cooking... But Sanae, on the other hand...

Sora burst into laughter, openly mocking Sanae. Eiji was furious. He felt Sanae's hand on his shoulder tremble slightly.

-(Eiji) Hey! You can say whatever you want about me, but I forbid you from talking nonsense about Sana- 

-(Sora) And who are you to forbid me anything? He said in an icy tone.

Dai, seeing Eiji's state, took over and started yawning loudly.

-(Sora) Well, well, what do we have here? Isn't it my little depressed puppet? Why are you yawning like that? Is the test exhausting you? 

-(Dai) No, it's just you boring me. I hoped to see a different face, but even after all this time, you're still that cowardly and sadistic man. He said, scratching his head. 

-(Sora) Oh~ but come on, I don't know what you're talking about. I've always done my best to guide you. He said with sarcasm.

Dai smiled slightly, surprising Sora, who had never seen such an expression on his face. A face showing an arrogant smile and a look of pity. This facial expression greatly displeased Sora. But it was Dai's next words that would erase Sora's smile and leave him with a closed and hateful face.

-(Dai) You? You did your best to guide me? You mean... You? The demon?

A heavy silence took over the atmosphere of the room. Dai wore a maniacal and provocative smile, a first for Sora, who was initially stunned but quickly filled with hatred. His face turned cold, and his gaze became threatening.

Dai and Sora stared at each other in silence. Meanwhile, Sanae reassured Eiji with a smile, getting up with him.

-(Sanae) Don't worry, Eiji, you have nothing to feel guilty about. Don't lose your calm over such a little thing.

Eiji looked attentively at Sanae.

-(Eiji) It's fine, I'm calm. But I could give you the same advice, Sanae. I know that idiot's words hurt you. I hope you don't go through all the trials in your life in silence without talk-

Sanae cut him off with a face that mixed sorrow and comfort.

-(Sanae) No... I have a friend. I'm not alone, don't worry.

Her bitter smile turned into a bright and warm one.

Sora heard Sanae's words and decided to add more.

-(Sora) Unfortunately, your friend wasn't there to save your poor performance! Honestly, she wants to lead the cooking club but can't even make a simple strawberry tart! HAHAHA