14

A few days later Suga was allowed to go back to actual physical therapy again. Although it actually came to him, because Oikawa had apparently been dying to visit him and Iwa agreed to an at home appointment.

Suga grimaced as Iwa helped him stretch out his legs, surprised at how bad it hurt.

Oikawa squeezed his hand in support and tried to distract him. "So, how was Daichi's big surprise for you the other night?"

"You know about that?"

The couple smiled at each other before Oikawa answered him. "Well for one thing, Daichi triple checked with Iwa to make sure it wouldn't hurt you to skate. And he also assembled a giant team to set up his little rink. Like, your entire old team,  the two of us, and some of your other friends too."

Suga's eyes widened. "I didn't know that much work went into it."

"Mhm."

Iwa sighed and looked at his friend with a frown. "You're really stiff, Suga. Did you feel okay after skating?"

"The day after I felt absolutely fine, given my circumstances." He tried, and failed, not to wince when Iwa moved onto the other leg. "Since then it has been kinda bad though."

An uncomfortable silence filled the room as the three men frowned at each other. A nurse, a physical trainer, and a professional volleyball player. Each of them knew the signs of an injury healing incorrectly. Suga wasn't quite there yet, but...

Iwa stood, helping Suga up after him. "Don't worry, because it's likely your body just wasn't uses to all that movement yet. Starting today I want you to double your exercises for a week though. And don't forget to take your meds. After that we'll see where you are."

"Yes sir."

Oikawa clapped his hands together and grinned. "Since we got the serious talk out of the way, I say we finish up your appointment and then the three of us go for some coffee!"

The idea of going out was enough to make Suga forget about any pain. "You know, since I was discharged from the hospital I haven't actually left here for anything other than appointments. And going back to the hospital the other week," he muttered.

"So you're feeling up for it?"

Suga smiled. "Definitely."

~

With one friend supporting him on either side, Suga was able to walk the whole way to the cafe- which is a mile away from his apartment- with only needing two breaks. And it felt good to be able to walk freely.

The coffee also made it better.

"I haven't seen you smile this much in months," Iwa said as Suga laughed at something Oikawa said. "I can't believe this idiot actually had a good idea."

"All these years together and you're still so mean to me."

Suga smiled and took a sip of his coffee. "Well, this is the most normal things have felt in ages. Plus this is my absolute favorite coffee shop."

The brunette setter smirked and elbowed his boyfriend. "See, Iwa? Smart. Not idiot!" He turned his attention back to Suga and smiled softly. "So are you excited for your friends' wedding? Hinata mentioned to me that you agreed to be a groomsman."

The coffee mug warmed Suga's hands as he thought about it. When he was first asked to be a groomsman he was a nervous wreck, and worried constantly about messing it up somehow, but now...

"Oh yeah. I can't wait!"