Chapter 22 - I Can't Forget You

Scaramouche

After a day of looking for a temporary place to stay, I had set up a small base in the cave with some basic necessities like a futon and a makeshift desk with  a wooden crate. I looked out the entrance of the cave and noticed the skies darken with gloomy clouds. I realized it was going to rain soon so I decided to go for a short stroll. I walked for a while before I felt a few drops of drizzle fall on my hat. I was going to head back before the rain picked up when I heard footsteps. I was immediately on high alert as I stopped in my tracks. There was something familiar about the footsteps. Before I could decide if I wanted to investigate, rain started pouring down on me. I sighed in annoyance as I felt my robes get soaking wet and saw the drops of water dripping down the rim of my hat. I was going to just go back to my cave when I heard what sounded like.. sobbing? My eyes widened as I recognized the crying. Could it be?

I did not expect the situation to end up with me holding her in my arms as she cried but that's what happened. Despite leaving her for good, there I was, glad to see and feel her close again. I could tell that she was still rather shaken up by what had happened. Although I wanted to be cold to her, I couldn't bring myself to at that moment. I reluctantly pulled away.

"You should go back home." I knew how harsh I was being but I knew that this was for the best.

"This has gone on long enough. " I turned away with a frown.

"What? You want me to go back home..? After everything.. ? " She wiped her tears and looked at me with disbelief.

I sighed before I looked at her once again.

"Did you not hear what I said? Go back. You have been through enough."

I knew my words were hurting her but I hoped she would take my advice and go back. There was nothing left for her here anyways. She stopped crying but glared at me through her tear stained face.

"So this is why you left without saying a word. You thought you get rid of me this way. " She snapped at me.

For some reason her words cut deep. I didn't want her to take it like that, but perhaps the more she hated me the better. I got ready to say somethings that I would never be able to take back, things that will make her stay away from me and the Fatui. Hopefully Dottore won't keep trying to get her if she was safe and sound in Liyue with her family. Or she could stay in the Inazuma branch, guarded by samurai from the Shirogane clan.

"You've become attached. I thought we decided this day was coming. You have had your fun as a rebellious young girl, now it's time to go back and return to your duties. "

"I am not going anywhere. Do you know what the last thing Ania said to me was? She asked me to find you." She teared up as she remembered her friend.

"I don't have anywhere left to go.. " Her voice was shaky as she looked away.

"You have a home, a clan and a family to go back to. Yet you choose to be stubborn till the end. " I sighed and shook my head.

"You are doing it again. You are pushing me away just because you think that it will be good for me, because you think you are no good for me. "

She spoke the truth no matter how much I tried to deny it.

"Just.. stop. " I gritted my teeth as I looked down at the drenched grass. The rain provided a depressing back drop to the situation.

"It's no use. You don't know of the things I have done. You don't know anything. You are just foolish. " I spoke in a low voice as I felt a mixture of conflicting emotions.