Chapter 4 - A Strange Encounter

It was so blatantly obvious that someone was watching me from the bushes that morning. And now the same person was in front of me, asking to join the Fatui. This had to be some kind of joke.

She had just told me that she had run away from home and that's why the Millelith were after her. She still wasn't telling me the whole story, but she seemed harmless enough. Her vision was what intrigued me though. How could a vision just break like that? I doubt any amount of force could even make a dent on a vision, and yet there it was, a huge crack running through the middle.

When I held her up against that tree, I was just being cautious. She ended up being a frail young girl which made me regret my actions a little. But this girl was rather amusing, especially when she ran after pretending to be strong. And now she was so brazenly asking to join the Fatui. I couldn't help but laugh at her directness.

"You.. you want to join the Fatui? Am I hearing this correctly? "

"Yes, I want to. "

Her forwardness was refreshing. No one even dared to speak to me without kneeling first and yet there she was.

"And why would a weak little girl like you want to join the Fatui?"

I had to know her thought process now. I had given her a free pass to leave without facing any consequences. Anyone in their right mind would take this opportunity to flee but she was standing there, trembling in fear as she tried to act brave. But there was a strong determination in her eyes.

"I wish to meet the Tsaritsa. And I have nowhere to go. I want to serve the Tsaritsa as she is the only one who has recognized my ambition and potential. Perhaps she can help fix my vision. "

This girl was truly something else. Did she really think she could just waltz right in and meet the Tsaritsa? I couldn't really tell if everything she said were the real reasons or if she was hiding some details once again. But there seemed to be some truth in her words so I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt.

"Hm. But do you really think you will survive a day here and with that vision of all things? Can you even take down a hilichurl? "

She seemed like a skilled swordsman, without the vision of course. I hadn't seen her use her vision all that much but I could tell she was holding back.

"I can take down a ruin gaurd or a mitachurl. But I am going to train harder if I do join the Fatui. "

She spoke in a monotonous voice, masking the fear in her voice well. I had no doubt that she could at least do that much. Her attire seemed exquisite, like the ones nobles in Liyue wore. She was bound to have done some kind of training.

"You are bold, I'll give you that, and incredibly amusing."

I pondered for a bit. I didn't really mind having another subordinate to scare on a daily basis. In fact I would actually enjoy watching her struggle, she would make good entertainment in my mundane days. The only problem was that she was from a noble family of some sort and she could be a potential threat if she found out about the Fatui's missions in Liyue. But judging by how she struggled at being secretive in anyway at all, it shouldn't pose a problem.

"Alright. You can join. But there are a few things you are going to have to follow. "

I wanted to see that determined look on her face gone after her first day with me. This was going to be fun.

"You will work directly under me, where I can keep an eye on you. So don't try anything you'll regret. And certainly no writing letters or talking to people who aren't Fatui. I know you are most probably not a spy, but one can be cautious. And lastly, you will address me as 'My Lord' or 'Lord Scaramouche'. "