Chapter 7 - Goodbye Liyue

Scaramouche

This girl was just simply too amusing. I just couldn't help but tease her. I was having the time of my life watching her scramble to get the letter from my hands. The way her face contorted into a state of horror as I started reading the letter was making me want to tease her more. I knew at this moment that it wasn't a mistake to take her in and keep her around. I was actually starting to like her company more than I was willing to admit.

She was an interesting character. She was extremely hardworking and competent. She was never defiant either. One downside was that she was rather clumsy and spilt my tea more often than not, but it only kept me entertained. For example, right now she was practically on top of me. What a clutz.

My breath involuntarily hitched the moment she landed on top of me.
I don't need to breathe, but I used to pretend to do it to fit in with humans and now it has sort of become a habit that's hard to break. I felt her weight shift on me as she tried to get up at once. I didn't let my expression change although I was caught off guard by this moment. I did not push her off though, this altercation was far too comical to me. I could feel her breath on my face as she looked at me with a flustered look, her blue eyes sparkling with regret and embarrassment mixed with something else. I wanted to taunt her more. Sadly, it ended too soon as she managed to get up.

What was even more comical to me was the fact that she had been writing letters to someone in the Adventurer's Guild and did not think that anyone would notice. There were a total of three letters, all signed 'Haru' and were for the same person, Reiko. The Fatui soldier delivering these letters wasn't as incompetent as I thought he was. He had brought the letters she had been slipping into the mail to me as soon as he had caught wind of the situation.

"She is.. no one. "

Lies. I didn't know what affiliation she had with Reiko but I knew they were close as Haru had gone through the trouble of trying to write to her.

"You always try to lie to me. Fine, I don't care enough to push you any further. What I do care about is all the things you wrote in those letters about me. I have only read the first one. I am sure the other two are bound to be a good read, don't you think? "

I could see the panic flash across her face as I placed the other letters on the surface of my deskdesk and smirked evilly.

"No! You can't read them! They are..uhm.. personal." She avoided my gaze as she spoke softly.

"I am sorry. " She mumbled apologies as she tried to come up with an excuse.

"Alright, I won't read them. But at least try to be more discrete when you try to do something like this next time. It's embarrassing that you work under me at this point. " I sighed sarcastically and leaned back in my chair before glancing at her to gauge her reaction.

She seemed relieved. In truth, I was curious as to what she might have written in those letters so I might have gone forward and read the other two already. That may be perceived as rude but you can't blame me. I had spent a good few minutes laughing at all the absurd things she had written about me in those letters.

I could tell that what she thought about me had changed over the days. The last letter ended with her saying "Perhaps he isn't that bad after all". It seemed her perception of me changed after I brought her back to camp that night. We even talked more over the past few days. It was mostly discussions about her vision or we just bickered and threw witty comebacks at each other. Nonetheless, I was starting to think that she would make a good assistant and a good Fatui soldier to take on missions.