Chapter 24 - The Space Between Us

Scaramouche

Her grandfather stared at me with wide eyes. He did recognize me. This wasn't good. My mind filled with guilt, regret and even fear as I glanced at Haru. I knew that I couldn't keep the secret any longer. The children around us quickly scurried off, not liking the strange tension in the air.

"This.. man...! " Her grandfather walked towards me with his cane pointing straight at me.

"Haruhi! Don't tell me you have been with this Fatui scum!"

Haruhi froze in place, her gaze shifting from her grandfather to me. Then she did something I didn't expect. She gently grabbed my hand and stood protectively in front of me, as if shielding me from her grandfather. She didn't say anything, she just glared at her grandfather. The one gesture was enough for him to understand our relationship. I wanted to interfere, to just grab her hand and run away from the situation before the truth was revealed. That way she wouldn't think I am monster, right? But something told me she wouldn't mind.

"You.. You trust people so easily." Her grandfather's expression darkened as he spoke in a shaky voice.

"Did he tell you something to seduce you? Have you lost your mind?!" He snapped, his anger surfacing as he waved his cane at us.

His words cut deep. My eyes narrowed and I wanted to say something, yet I held my tongue.

"Nothing like that happened." Haru said with a glare.

"Then why would you associate yourself with this.. murderer! " He yelled back.

There it was, the truth. I had only figured out that I had killed her uncle when she told me her last name was 'Shirogane'. But I couldn't help but want to keep it from her. I was going to tell her at some point, but then I thought leaving was better and didn't really think there was a need to tell her. I glanced at Haru. She was clenching her fists but she didn't reply. His words seemed like they were a wake up call for her to realize just how many people I may have killed, judging by her expression.
Her grandfather glanced down at her cryo vision and his eyes narrowed, as if scrutinizing her more, although he didn't say anything about it. He had a bigger problem to worry about after all.

"You have no idea of the things he has done. He.. he killed my son! My son.. Your uncle.. He was just about your age when he was so cruelly killed! "

Her grandfather yelled, making Haru flinch. Tears streamed down as he raised his cane above Haru, about to bring it down. She flinched more, bracing for impact. She was wrong if she thought I would let him hit her. I was ready to intervene but he turned and brought the cane down on me instead. He then repeatedly delivered blows to my shoulder and arms. This was the result of my past transgressions and I knew I deserved every strike. It didn't hurt as much as it hurt to see Haruhi tear up and step in to try and get him to stop.

"No! Grandpa stop! Please.. You're hurting him..! "

She cried as she tried to hold his arm back. I hoped she would just leave after I told her the entire truth of my past.

"Scaramouche! Tell him it isn't true? " She asked between sobs.

She stopped when she saw me look straight into her eyes with a cold stare. Realization kicked in as she stepped back with a look of fear on her face.

"It isn't.. true.. right? " She asked in a shaky voice.

"It is. I killed him. " I admitted.

Her grandfather stopped his cane midair as he looked at me with a glare. His eyes were teary as he slowly brought the cane down to his side. My admission hung as a thick fog around us as they stared at me. Her grandfather's eyebrows furrowed as his expression turned to a look of hatred in his eyes. I thought he was going to start hitting me with his cane once again but he dropped the cane instead. He then turned to Haruhi, completely ignoring what I had just said.