Chapter 15- Another Spirit

Maxine's P.O.V.

The night was silent like it usually was except for the many spirits that still wandered around. It was difficult to make sure my footsteps weren't loud or if I were too loud in these dark halls I wandered. "Are we almost there?" I questioned Regulus who was leading ahead of me as I made sure we kept a long distance in case one of the Professors was wandering the halls. Prince was rather excited to follow me again side by side as he would rub his side on my leg covering my robes with annoying fur that was like glue stuck to my robes. "We're almost there." Says Regulus and he continues directing us through the walls. I had the worn-out brown book in my hands as I scanned the title feeling a rush of excitement about learning more about Merlin.

Shortly we finally arrived at our destination after climbing the stairs to the very top. "Where are we exactly." I look around as I see the stars shine so brightly that the night looked so very beautiful it was difficult to pull my eyes away. "We are at the Astronomy Tower and if I'm correct it's the tallest tower in Hogwarts and a good place to hide out when it's the right time and day." I looked over the railings to see how high this tower was but it made me uneasy to be standing so close to the edge even with railings as I stepped back feeling more grounded. I found a good spot as I sat against the wall with Prince on my lap. "It's peaceful here," I say taking a deep breath of the chilly air feeling the wind blowing gently on my face.

"It's a good place. Are you sure you should be keeping this book?" Regulus questions as he leans down to take a closer look at the book as I open the page. "I'm only reading it and I'll be careful. Once I'm done I'll return it." I wave my hand back and forth dismissing him even though deep down I was worried about being caught with this book as I cast Lumos making the words more easy to read.

It felt like an hour or 2 had passed as I felt completely captivated by the book and Merlin himself. "Maxine it's getting late and you have class tomorrow, stop reading that book," Regulus says rather sternly as a father would scold their child for not sleeping at their bedtime. Ignoring him, "Merlin must've been amazing." I say touching the book's pages gently. I stretch my hand out as I say Lumos hoping that light would appear from my hand but it didn't. I knew very that that most of the wizards and witches were also able to use magic without a wand but it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. "He was talented and he was able to use magic without a wand. Compared to me he was truly talented and how he worked with the Muggles that's why he's so well known. It's better than what I have...all I have is the ability to see the dead but nothing else... it's useless, I never asked or wanted this..." I frown at what I had just said as I shake my head hoping that such thoughts would disappear as I turn to look at Regulus, "I'm glad I have you." I say as Regulus goes to pat my head as I can feel a cold breeze and ever so slightly light touch. "I'll always be here to protect you."

"You promise." my voice lingered with a sense of anxiety mixed with fright. The reality is that I wouldn't dream of even overcoming all of this by myself, how could I...to being able to see shadows and hear them to being able to see them as if they were like everyday humans so solid it could fool you to believing that they were alive. They differ at times most would be noticeable as they would be stuck in an endless loop repeating their final moments before death and for those few that had died a gruesome death, I could feel the pain before they died. Is there a point in seeing the dead? I ask myself this very question every time I stumble upon a spirit. However, I do believe I've gotten better at being less frightened by them. "I promise." He says as we both smile at each other so warmly like when the sun's warm rays of light would shine upon you. And at this very moment, he felt like a father, as he always did even the day we first met.

I finally got up as Prince was awakened by the sudden movement as he meows. I picked him up and cradled him as if he were a baby while we headed back to the dorms where the comforts of the bed were as soft as a marshmallow making me fall asleep instantly the moment I fell on the mattress.