Not A Chance

The knock at the door startled me, it was only 1900 but with the time difference you were getting tired. You made your way over and cracked it open.  It was Gaz, Sergent Kyle Garrick, everyone here was so tall they towered over you. 

"Yes, sir?" you entered through the silence

"It's dinner time new recruit" he replied. You nodded and followed him through the hallway, "So how are you settling in?" 

"It's a bit different from what I'm used to but I'll get used to it" you said with a smile that he couldn't even see. There was a brief pause and shifted his gaze down to you as you continued on our walk, "Those guys back there, they're not the best at welcoming new people" he sighed. 

"It's fine. I guess I understand being in their position. I just need a chance to show what I can do" You nod in an attempt to not only convince him but yourself.

"Speaking of, everyone here has a specialty. What's yours?" he leaned intrigued

"You don't expect me to give all my cards away on the first day do you?" You laugh and received a smile from Gaz flashing his perfect teeth as we entered the kitchen hall.  

"Guess not" he nodded and smiled in agreement. The room went quiet when we entered, as if they were talking about us and stopped right as we walked in or particularly talking about you. Your ears went red as you scanned the room, Gaz placed a gentle hand on your back and guided you to the kitchen.

"I hope you like burnt burgers" he handed me a plate. You curled my lip into a smirk, "My favorite". You took your seat among your new teammates who have seemed to strike up a conversation about some mishap Soap had with a bartender at the local pub. 

"How was I supposed to know the las was married?" Soap stated sitting next to you. 

"The ring on her finger?" Roach interjected making Gaz and Ronald choke back a laugh. A small smile came across your face. Everyone finished before you and turned on a hockey game. It was just you left at the table nibbling on cold fries. Ghost was in the kitchen, sleeves rolled up washing some dishes. You eyes focused on his tattooed arms, wondering what they were and what they meant. His eyes shifted to you and you quickly looked away. 

You stood up and wiped the reminence of your food into the trash. Ghost placed his hand out toward me to take my plate. My eyes focused in on his tattooed forearm, a house with trees and ravens with protruding veins. 

You put the plate in his hand, "Thanks" you turn to walk away 

"Aren't you going to ask?" he questioned, you turn back around meeting his eyes with a confused look on your face, "about the tattoo" he finished his sentence 

Your eyes narrowed, "Not unless you're going to actually tell me". He let out a small breathe almost resembling a laugh but no, it couldn't be. 

"Not a chance" he turned back to his dirty dishes, you nodded, that's what you thought. You could sense someone walk up behind you. 

You turned to see Gaz, "Want some coffee?" he slid beside me to grab the mugs from the cabinet. Ghost side eyed Gaz from his position. 

"I'd love some tea" you smiled. Your phone started ringing in your pocket, grabbing the attention of everyone in the kitchen. You immediately reached for it and muted the ringer. My eyes widened when you read the name "Keegan" 

"Excuse me" You turn to the back door and step out into the dark closing the door behind you and sliding your finger across the screen. 

"Hey Kit Kat" his voice sprang into your ears and you couldn't help but smile at the nickname