In another life

The sun had barely crept over the horizon when Jungkook found himself standing in front of Taehyung's door, a heavy weight in his chest and a letter clutched in his trembling hand. He took a deep breath, steeling himself for the conversation he was about to have, and gently rapped his knuckles against the wood. Taehyung's groggy "Yeah?" echoed through the crack. Jungkook pushed the door open to reveal his hyung sprawled across the bed, one arm thrown over his eyes to shield them from the early light.

"Hyung," Jungkook began, his voice a mere whisper. Taehyung sat up with a start, the sheets pooling around his waist. He blinked sleepily before his eyes widened in concern. "What's wrong?"

Jungkook stepped into the room, the floorboards creaking under his feet. He clutched the letter tighter, feeling the paper crumple slightly in his grip. "My appa," he started, his voice catching in his throat. "He's..." He couldn't bring himself to say it. Instead, he offered the letter to Taehyung, who took it with a puzzled expression.

Taehyung read the few lines written in Jungkook's father's shaky hand, and his eyes grew wet. He looked up at Jungkook, his own pain mirrored in Jungkook's tear-stained face. "When did you find out?" he asked, his voice thick with emotion.

Jungkook took a step closer, his eyes searching Taehyung's for comfort. "This morning," he replied, his voice barely above a murmur. "I have to go."

Taehyung set the letter aside and held out his arms, pulling Jungkook into a tight embrace. Jungkook buried his face in Taehyung's shoulder, the dam of his emotions finally breaking. He hadn't realized how much he'd been holding in until he felt the warmth of Taehyung's embrace, the steady beat of his heart beneath his cheek.

"Where?" Taehyung asked, his voice muffled by Jungkook's hair. Jungkook pulled back, wiping at his eyes with the back of his hand.

"Home," he said, his voice cracking. "My appa...he's no more."

Taehyung's arms tightened around him, and Jungkook felt a strange sense of relief mixed with the sadness.

"I don't feel bad," Jungkook confessed, his voice a hoarse whisper. "Maybe it's because of how he treated me."

Taehyung pulled back, looking into Jungkook's eyes with a fierce protectiveness. "You don't have to justify your feelings," he said firmly. "Whatever you're feeling is okay."

Jungkook managed a small smile, and Taehyung leaned in, pressing a soft kiss to his forehead. "I'm here," he murmured, his breath warm against Jungkook's skin.

Their eyes met, and without a word, they both knew what was coming next. Jungkook leaned in, and Taehyung met him halfway, their lips colliding in a passionate kiss that spoke of comfort and love and the promise of forever. It was a kiss that said more than any words could, a silent vow to stand by each other through thick and thin.

When they finally broke apart, Taehyung whispered, "Can we kiss forever?"

Jungkook just smiled through his tears, the weight in his chest lightening just a little. "Soon," he promised. "As soon as I come back, we will hold each other, and I will kiss you as much as you want."

With one last lingering embrace, Jungkook pulled away, wiping at his eyes. "I gotta go," he said, his voice stronger now.

Taehyung nodded, his own eyes glistening. "I'll be waiting," he said, his voice equally firm.

And with that, Jungkook gathered his belongings, the warmth of Taehyung's embrace still clinging to him like a second skin. He knew he had to leave soon, to face the storm that awaited him back home, but the thought of returning to Taehyung's arms after the storm had passed brought a small flicker of light to the dark cloud of his grief.