✭14✭

Lights flicker dimly among the decorated tables. Rain dances along the windows creating a rhythmic tune. The warm maple syrup drips as it makes its way onto my tongue.

Sitting alone during the gloomy hours of dawn, an unusual but comfortable calmness lies upon the lack of students quietly eating or enjoying their morning. Having breakfast at six on a Wednesday is not ideal, but being woken up by Pansy ensured I would not be able to fall asleep again.

Ollie swiftly makes his way through the window of the north hall and next to my table.

"Hey buddy, you have something for me?" I ask while petting his head. I haven't been able to spend much time with Ollie since I left for school, and it's been tough. Usually he would be able to stay in my dorm during the day and I would see him during times when I'm back, but after my mother's owl passed during the summer, he had become the family owl.

Patting him on the head, the barn owl dropped an envelope attached to a wrapped gift onto my lap before taking off back into the stormy morning sky.

Placing the gift next to my plate, I continue to finish the remaining French toast in front of me. It was only 6:43, but a couple more students had made their way into the hall. One including Malfoy.

Turning my attention away, --as I am physically and mentally too tired to deal with his bull shit—I clean off my plate and turn back to the gift in front of me.

"Awe, did you get a new book Darling?" Shocked, I looked up from my seat unamused to find the blonde sitting in front of me.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" I attempted to move the gift away from him before he grabbed it from my reach.

"Currently, an apple and a new book to read." He says, running his fingers along the wrapping. --causing a familiar sensation to erupt in my stomach. -- Pushing down the unwanted feelings, a Eurasian Owl flies past me and him both dropping a matte black envelope in front of us.

Taking the chance, I attempt to get my book back, --as he is still holding it-- but instead only managing to snatch the letter my mum had left for my birthday.

Looking up at me, an unfamiliar glint in his eye's flashes from the envelope, and back down as he forcefully stands up –with my book— clutching onto the parchment in his hand.

Grabbing a green apple, he pushes past a Hufflepuff and out into the halls.

What the bloody fuck just happened?

Dear Nitara,

Happy Birthday! New year, so exciting. I hope you enjoy the book I got you, I think you will really like it. I've seen some of the novels you have been reading and they are a bit questionable but you are maturing and you can read what you want to. Just don't tell dad or Miles about this book, it's one of my favourites and I think it will be yours too if you know what I mean ;). Anyway, Happy Birthday and lots of love.

-Best Mum Ever

Lillith Hyde.

Gross...

Oh shit.

. ┊⋆ ┊ . ┊⋆ ┊.

Walking back to my dorm to pick up my bookbags, more students filed into the halls.

"Pure-blood." I mumbled under my breath at the entrance door. Stepping inside, Slytherins are apparent sitting on the couches and gathering around the fireplace. Checking the time, I still have about two hours before classes start at nine.

The dorms are abnormally quiet, as usually students would be shuffling around to get ready, or just waking up. Under the door is darkness, ensuring Sylvia is still asleep as I already saw Pansy snogging her boy toy by the couch.