CHAPTER 13: Bonding With Fellow Traumatized Kids While Getting Quirk Gains 101

omg me? writing an actually canon-aligning chapter?? more likely than you think!!

but!! we have our second submission of WUD fanart, and it's another banger, folks. two lovely pieces (, ) by Uriel on Quotev! I love the three little lines near MC's face that show her spidey sense oadifadkhgjddd ahhhhh thank you so much!!

GRRRR THE PICTURES AREN'T PROPERLY LOADING, BUT I WILL FIX THEM LATER

---

"I better not see any of you slacking off!" Tiger yelled out, and you nearly jumped out of your skin. Scary!! You thought to yourself. While you were all for doing things in the name of improving yourself, you... actually, you hadn't encountered something that pushed you too far past your limits — they always hit that sweet zone of proximal development — hence why you were now zooming through a forest you were unfamiliar with.

One string after another, you fired more of your web fluid at various trees to swing through the forest. On one particular swing, you launched yourself well above the tree line. As you flipped yourself upside down to properly look at the ground, your eyes lit up when you realized that you were high enough to oversee what all of your classmates and friends were up to. Ah! They're all working so hard! You then let gravity overpower your previous velocity, naturally allowing yourself to fall closer to the ground. You descended to one of the lowest branches of the tree you had flung yourself above. You summoned your most determined expression and slapped your cheeks. I need to do the same!

However, as you brought your arm up and straightened it out to prepare yourself to swing some more, an unexpected splotch of colors caught your eye. Your eyes widened. Kota! What's he doing out here? As for what it looked like from your perspective, the boy was just watching Midoriya and the others screaming out various battle cries. And, honestly, you could have gotten behind that, if the kid had even cracked a hint of a smile. But he was just blankly observing, which was why you were confused.

Then, the information that Pixie-Bob told you and Midoriya the night before reverberated in your mind. "It was Mandalay's cousins. Kota's parents, that is. They were heroes, too. But they were murdered." Your heart was swept up in feelings of depressed empathy and an overwhelming desire to help in any way you could. I know what it's like to lose your parents so young and be taken in by your aunt... but I don't know what he's specifically going through here and he didn't even tell me so I can't just talk to him as if I have any idea what's going on in his mind! Ah!! What am I supposed to do?!

"Are you gonna stand there looking stupid or get to work, hero?" Not Kota saying the word 'hero' as if it were derogatory-

"Oh! M-Me?" You squeaked out in surprise, not expecting to be called out so suddenly like that.

"*Scoff* Ya see anyone else over here, idiot?" He rolled his eyes.

"Well... no, I guess not." He shook his head at your reply, which only made you feel more embarrassed. Gah! What was that?! I totally just failed that social interaction!! Ahhhh, how embarrassing!! He then turned back from you to stalk away to find something more entertaining.

"W-Wait!" You blurted out, and he paused his stride. Irritation came off of him in waves. You tried to mentally pump yourself up to continue the conversation with him.

"Since you're surrounded by heroes and heroes in training, but don't seem to have any interest in them... What are you interested in?" He remained silent, obviously not swayed by your attempt at making conversation with him.