III | never enough

"towers of gold are still too little"

The nauseating feeling in my stomach slowly subsided and I could feel solid ground beneath my feet. It took a while until I could think somewhat clearly again and my brain no longer felt as if it was leaking out of my ears.

Another second passed before I realized that it wasn't my drugged-out brain trying to deceive me, but that I was standing in a golden dome that was rotating around me, gradually slowing down. In the middle of the circular room, a few steps led to a smaller platform on which a man stood, dressed in golden armor, holding a golden sword.

Slowly, so as not to risk passing out, I turned and looked behind me through some kind of gate into the starry sky. "Where are we?" I asked with a certain awe and turned to the stranger, then abruptly paused.

There was a man standing in front of me. I was pretty sure it was the same person as before. The same hair and eyes, only their features had hardened and the shoulders were now broader. They were now wearing elaborately decorated armor in green, black, and gold, which almost distracted me from the thought that we must have traveled halfway across the planet in merely a few seconds.

"We are in Asgard. The world of the Gods," the other man said. My gaze shifted towards him. Was he trying to tell me that we were no longer on Earth?

That was... not as unlikely as some people might believe, according to some scientists, but still completely mad. Merely the thought of it was enough to completely disturb me and cause me to bite my cheek anxiously.

I needed to calm down. I needed to think. I had experienced quite a lot and had visited various countries, so how different could this be... Oh, who was I kidding?! This was something entirely different. I had a new ground beneath my feet, a new sky above my head, and aliens around me.

What did one do in a situation like that? The chances of me surviving an escape attempt were less than slim, especially since I had no idea how I would get back to Earth and both men, or whatever they were, looked like they knew how to handle weapons. I couldn't count on S.H.I.E.L.D. anymore either, so I was bound to be trapped here.

"Does that mean you think you're Gods?" I asked, simply to say something, to which my captor - or savior, however, you want to look at it - gave me a warm smile. "Actually, it's your people who think we're Gods. You started worshipping us and we adapted," they said. I considered their words while absentmindedly following them.

I had never been particularly religious. As a child, no one had tried to convince me that there was a Good God who had a plan for me and that everything had a purpose. Later, I decided for myself that that couldn't be right. But other Gods... I had visited a few countries during my time in hiding and got to know their mythologies and cultures, albeit mostly superficially.

I was torn from my thoughts when we stepped out of the dome onto a bridge that seemed to gleam in the colors of the rainbow and at the end of which a breathtakingly beautiful landscape stretched out. Surrounded by deep blue water lay a city with golden houses. At the edge of the bridge, right next to the dome, a floating boat was waiting, probably the common means of transport around here.

"If you please..." The black-haired 'God' made an inviting gesture towards the vehicle, whereupon I took a big step onboard the flying vessel. It swayed a little, as boats of this size often do, but stabilized again soon afterward.

The friendly light of the sun blazed through the lush green leaves of the trees as we sailed beneath them. There seemed to be no such thing as air traffic regulations here, but they hardly seemed necessary either, since the sky was quite empty apart from us.

I waited impatiently until we finally arrived at our destination and I could ask all the questions that were burning on my tongue even more than before. Even the enchanting beauty of this world faded into the background. At the end of the flight - it seemed like hours to me, but it could only have been a few minutes - we stopped at the entrance of the monumental palace, which stood immaculately before us. To be honest, I wasn't particularly surprised that it was here where we stopped.

Somehow the stranger had something regal about them that gave them away. Silently they motioned for me to follow them, which slowly began to irritate me. Was this baron, duke, or whatever they were, too fine to be treated with a simple mortal civilian? But I decided not to say anything. After all, I wanted to find answers here and it would be an important advantage to get on good terms with the host, who could have me killed at any given moment. I was relatively sure that not even a trained soldier like me had a realistic shot against the countless guards waiting on every corner.

I noticed how my head was slowly becoming clearer again, the further we ventured into the palace. I could think much more freely and rationally and no longer imagined that I could hear my brain swimming in its fluid. In return, the dull pain returned to my bones. It wasn't particularly strong, but it was constantly there, like an annoying fly buzzing around your head.

We walked for a while in long corridors until we stopped in a large room. Arranged in a triangle were three surprisingly comfortable-looking sofas around an extinguished fireplace. "Have a seat." They sat down on one of the seats, which I mirrored.

No one spoke for a while, as we looked at each other suspiciously, or rather curiously before they broke the silence: "So... you have questions..."